Chapter 24

There's a beautiful woman and a handsome man. The woman's skin was pale, she had dark brown hair that went to her rib cage, hazel eyes, rosy pink lips, and was five foot four. Her dark brown hair was perfectly straight, not a single hair out of place. She had the warmest smile on her face.

The man was five foot six. He had dark brown hair that was a bit shaggy, tan skin, light brown eyes, black rimmed rectangular glasses, and had an arm around the woman. He had a small smile on his face.

The air felt cold. Whenever I breathed out, I could see the faint, white, air swirl around. It was foggy and I couldn't see much.

The sky looked gray, but it wasn't going to rain. When I looked up, I saw no sun. I saw no clouds, I saw no sky. I looked down and saw no grass. It was just a light gray all around.

I took a step forward. It didn't feel like I was walking on the ground. It felt as if I was walking on water; as if I was floating.

I took another step forward to the happy couple who seemed oblivious of me. I slowly made my way towards them. I stopped a few feet in front of them.

There was a line of small and large, pure white roses in front of the couple. It seemed to go on forever. I breathed out and saw another swirl of white air. I went to touch it with my hand, but it had already vanished.

I laughed softly. The couple in front of me still didn't notice me. They were staring at nothing. I waved my hand in front of them. Nothing.

I stopped trying and bent down in front of the roses. I knew it would prick me, but I touched the thorn either way.

I pulled back my finger quickly. I single drop of blood fell onto the white rose. Suddenly, it started to turn a dark red. I looked back up at the couple. Still oblivious.

I noticed they had large, pure white wings. I raised an eyebrow. What were they? I looked back down at the now red rose.

I put my finger on the rose. It slowly started to crumple and die. It looked like all the life was sucked out of it. Like how a towel looked after it dried.

I looked at the rose next to it. It was shriveling up too. It was turning black. I looked the other way. All the roses were turning like that.

I saw a single drop of blood fall down from my finger. I stood up. I looked at the couple who finally noticed me. They looked annoyed I was here.

The sky slowly started to turn a darker gray. The fog slowly turned a faded black. I fell to the floor for some reason. The blood dripped out slowly from my finger.

"Only pure of heart can touch the roses," the lady said sternly. "Only pure of heart can pass the roses."

I felt a pain in my chest. I clutched where my heart is. I let out a small cry of pain. "Who...Who are you?" I asked.

I felt another stab of pain in my heart. I let out a cry. "We keep those who aren't pure of heart like you out," the man said.

I yelped again. I looked at the couple and realization hit me. These weren't just a couple of strangers.

These were my parents.

I coughed and wheezed. I spit up a little blood. I looked up at them, still clutching my heart. "Mom....Dad...."

They were shocked for a moment. Their angered faces changed in to sadness. I felt another pain in my heart. I groaned and laid on my back.

"How could you do this to us, Autumn?!" my mother yelled. "How could you?!"

"You betrayed us!" my father yelled. "You promised to be good! You promised not to get into trouble!"

"You promised me you would stay!" I yelled at them. Cold, wet tears ran down my cheeks. "You left me!"

They looked shocked by my comment. Suddenly, my tears became warm and thick. I put my hand on my cheek. Blood was coming out of my eyes.

"You wanted me to be good, but you sold drugs father!" I yelled. He moved his arm from my mother. "And you knew about it!" I yelled to her.

I saw feathers slowly falling from their wings. They turned black and laid on the floor. Their pure white clothing slowly turned dark red from their blood stained tears. "You betrayed me! Your daughter!"

Their hands slowly moved to their hearts, clutching their hearts. "You tricked people father! You caused all of this!"

"I-I tried to save you," he said. He slowly fell to his knees. "I-I saved you."

"You killed me!" I yelled. "I died on the inside ever since you left! My only desire for living is revenge! If you just payed, if you didn't trick them, none of this would have happened!"

"W-We needed money," my mother said. She slowly fell to her knees also. "W-We got money."

My hand moved from my heart. The pain faded away. Their wings were gone, their clothes were dark red and black. I stood up slowly. I could hear the crackle of fire behind me. There was fire behind them too. The warmth of it started to melt away the scenery, like it was wax.

"You caused you own death," I stated harshly. I stood straight and tall. "You both killed me that day. I may be breathing, but I am dead on the inside."

"I-I tried to run and save you," he said. Blood tears were running down his face. "I-I tried to make it right."

They slowly started to melt away. The scenery followed. I was the only one not melting. My body grew heavy along with my eyes though.

"You didn't make it right," I said. My vision was drawing to an end. "Running does nothing. You are a coward."

My body was too heavy too keep up. I fell to the melting floor. I looked up at them one last time. "Now we all have to suffer. Because of one choice you made, we all suffered the consequences."

I heard their sobs as my vision was going away. Their voices became muffled along with the sound of the fire.

All I saw was black.