Chapter 9

ABAGAIL stood nervously behind her Aunt, Daniel beside her. He was equally as nervous to be here, but not because of her Aunt finally joining the pack. To be part of their werewolf family and under their protection. But because his mother was here. He was still so scared and shy, she had almost forgotten he was like that.

Smiling at him, she watched him smile back. Not awkwardness between them at all. It was all still a part of Daniel. He was shy, awkward, and horny. He wouldn't be him without that. Subtly, she took his hand in hers. The both of them calming each other. Her Aunt stood tall and tried to be calm as the Alpha smiled reassuringly at them.

The two boys danced awkwardly beside their mother, each holding one of her hands. They would be part of the pack too. March had picked them both up after school and brought them straight here. They had been a little feral, but one snap of Abagail's teeth had them behaving with matching grins. They were excited to see Daniel, jumping on him like puppies and asking him questions about marrying Abagail. Daniel promised he and she would have the biggest wedding, and the two of them could definitely come.

"Hey, March," the Alpha greeted smiling. Daniel's Uncle, Caden's Dad. He smiled sweetly, eyes landing on Abagail and Daniel, who held hands and stood right beside one another at the back.

Meèla, his sister, watched them with sad eyes. Uncomfortable enough to make Daniel want to let go of her hand. Abagail's fingers tightened around his, preventing them.

He knew his motherwished she ended up with that. Instead of being tortured and locked away. Child taken from them. But not everyone could be Daniel and Abagail.

"We all know why we're here, lets begin," the Alpha said, clapping hid hands together. His son, Caden, grinned from behind him. His cheek still bright red from where March had pinched it. Each of them listened as March swore her oath into the pack, blood ties and recognising each werewolf's position slowly. Abagail felt a pang in her gut when March had to submit to her. Watching her Aunt bow down before her, head bowed and kneeling... It felt wrong.

The woman who took her in and practically raised her. Who cared for her. Who let her be her own person, trusting that Abagail would know her path and take responsibility. Who put up with every bit of Abagail. An older woman. A Mother figure. The woman who told Abagail what to do on a daily basis. Was kneeling before her. It felt wrong.

It was traditional, though, and it was for the werewolves to recognize the ranks. But it still felt wrong.

As she knelt, she smiled. Sweet and encouraging. Before moving on to then kneeled, bowing her head, before Daniel. He was instantly nervous. This was his first real duty to do with her since he found out about their world. He had not expected, or remembered the amount of respect he was being given in his entire life. He nearly cried when Cameron had done the same, bowed before him, submitted to him. It had been a massive milestone, from having Cameron treat Daniel like dirt, to having him practically bow before him. Like Daniel was royalty. Nothing had been said with words, but Camerons eyes said it all.

He was sorry. But deep down, they all knew it wasn't enough. It would never be enough. It erased nothing. Cameron had kept his mouth closed, and would so until a day came where Daniel didn't bare those scars as deep.

"Welcome back March," Caden's Father smiled sweetly, wrapping the older woman in a hug.

That never usually happened at these rituals. But the pack was family, it was just that Abagail brought them all a little closer.

"As you know, we're not forcing you to join us in the pack villiage, you can stay where you live, if you wish. But there is always a place for you here," the Alpha said proudly.