Chapter 12

MASON grinned out at everyone who had come to his party. The over the top crowd of people were dancing as enthusiasticly as they could. Watching as people bumped into one another as they jumped, flaid and grinded. Mason's eyes staying on Caden for a moment too long. No one noticed. No one ever notices.

It was the best decision to end it with Caden. Because if he ended up meeting his mate tonight, or any other night, it would hurt Caden. And him.

He should have never let anything happen between him and his future Alpha. It was a bad move on both their parts. But during those late nights and time alone... They had gotten hot and cold quickly.

He shoved the thoughts of Caden to the back of his mind, this was his birthday. His day to have a mate. To be an equal to the other, older wolves.

He watched Abagail and her hot pieces of man candy walk further into his house. Her hands were in Daniel's, both of them wearing matching silk-like red shirts. Glimmering in the lights of the party. Both of them looked good. Singularly, and obviously, together. Gut clenching, Mason knew he wanted that. Would do anything to have that. He just hoped there wouldn't be as much trouble around obtaining that. He didn't know if he could go through what Abby went through to be with Daniel.

Daniel probably thought it was a cute couple thing, but every werewolf and human around knew what it meant. Daniel was hers. She owned him like he was a part of her, he was under her protection. And no one would dare try anything with him.

But Mason was still body quivering nervous. He knew deep down, to his core, that he didn't like girls. He remembered the realisation when he was twelve, and had spun the bottle and kissed Luke Lang. His heart beat was thundering and his hands were sweating. Everyone had talked about feeling that way. With butterflies in his stomach, he had kissed Luke Lang four times at that party. Yet, Mason had never heard of two men mates. There was always the hopeful talk from other werewolves he knew that were part of the LGBTQ+ community. Even in old texts, it had been mentioned the Moongoddess would fool around with women, and that she herself prefferred the touch and love of a woman...

And yet Mason had broken it off with Caden. It was doomed to end, anyway. It was like Caden was flint and Mason was a rock. One hard strike and a small spark erupted for a short amount of time. But it was only desire... Mason knew he didn't feel the way he knew he should have felt about the person he was ready to spend the rest of his life with.

Mason waved towards the trio, watching Abagail lead her mate over to him. Caden didn't follow.

Instantly Mason draped himself over Abagail's mate, wiggling his eyebrows at Daniel, who watched on with an unimpressed smirk. All Mason earned was a sharp jab to the ribs, that hurt so much he winced.

"Sorry - sorry," He gushed, raising his hands in the air to surrender. Making an effort to so much as back away from a blushing Daniel.

"Happy birthday," Abagail shouted over the music at him, wrapping her arms around the birthday boy. He eagerly returned the gesture.

"Happy birthday," Her mate repeated, being pulled into a hug once again. Mason grinned at Abagail.

"Platonic," he shouted at her. Loud enough so that Abagail could hear, hoping he wouldn't get jabbed in the side again.

He pulled away from Daniel. Watching him return to his mates side. The two were practically glued at the hip.

Mason lifted his hands, pride and mischeif his only promise in his grin. In his hands he held a glittering golden key. Continuing to let it glitter and dangle before all of them. The couple's eyes fell to it, eyebrows raised in confusion. His chuckle was suggestive and deep, only Abagail catching on, as she narrowed her gorgeous hazel eyes.