Chapter 17

CHRISTOPHER stared at Mason Duncan - who stared back at him with something. He looked around awkwardly, still trying to pull his life together after the voices left. "Uh - hey, Mason." He nodded his head, watching as the dark skinned boy took a few stumbling steps towards him.

"It's you." He breathed, complete surprise etched his face. Christopher stared out at the road behind them, confused as to why Mason had left his party. And to obviously chase him down the street. "But - this can't be happening." He stumbled closer towards him, his hands reaching out to cup a clearly confused Christophers cheek.

"What?" He angled his brow, his head darting passed Mason. Shuffling away from him slightly, his hands flexed in his pockets. Mason lowered his arms.

"It's you." Was all Mason muttered under his breath, eyes wide in the dimness of the street light. "It's been you this whole time."

"Look - Mason - " taking a deep drag of air, Christopher rolled his shoulders. It always freaked him out when Mason touched him. It was usually a shoulder brush in public that would send an icy cold feeling down his spine. But never had he been confronted by the younger boy. "You're clearly on something right now, you should go back to your party." Looking past the birthday boy, Christopher could see people continue to flood into Mason's family home. But none of it seemed to phase Mason. "Mason." Christopher said more firmly.

"I - I don't understand." Mason said aloud, staring at Christopher with a look he had never seen before. "How can it be you?"

Looking around them, Christopher searched for anyone that could come help. Mason was his younger brother's friend, he had no idea why he was out here talking to him. It wasn't that he was embarrassed to be seen with Mason, he was embarrassed to be seen in general. Word had gotten out that Christopher wasn't right in the head, the amount of days he took off school were proof of that enough. He couldn't remember the last time he went to school for a full day.

"Mason, I think you should go back inside." He tried to take a step towards Mason, but the boy took one back. Nervously, Christopher felt around for his phone, there was no way he wanted to be in charge of someone in Mason's state. "I'm going to call Daniel to come get you."

"He's already on his way." Mason answered, his voice void of emotion or any tone. All he did was stare at Christopher with a look that was almost cloaked by the darkness around them. Christopher felt a pit in his stomach, his chest tighten. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

Relief bloomed in his chest, his shoulders visibly sagging, as Daniel came over to them - with him Caden and Abagail. The trio jogged over, faster than what was necessary. Christopher bit back the urge to ask how they had known where they were.

"Chris - Chris what are you doing here?" Daniel panted, jogging past him to stand behind him. To prevent him from continuing his walk home. Abagail and Caden stood beside the still dazed Mason.

"I was going to come to the party but... it was boring in there." He lied, gulping back the lump in his throat that stung in the cool air. He surveyed his brother, who was clad in sweat and had a particular scent to him. "Why are you so sweaty?" He already knew the answer, had seen Daniel dancing with Abagail inside.

"Dancing." He answered, his gaze shifting past his brother to his girlfriend. A moment of silence passed between them all, Christopher felt like he was out of some telepathic loop - all a joke of course. "Why don't I walk you home, Christopher."

"What about Abagail?" Christopher asked, whirling around to see the aggressively attractive girl eyeing Daniel with a sharp gaze. She always looked pissed off.

"Abby will be fine without me for a few minutes." Daniel shrugged his clear intentions to be left alone off. Mason was still staring straight at him. The look made Christopher start walking again, this time with Daniel by his side. Sending one last look over his shoulder, he watched as Caden and Abagail tried to coax Mason back into the house - but he kept staring straight at him.

Pulling the jacket tighter around himself did no good as the nights cool grasp had weasled its way into him.

"Will Mason be alright?" He found himself asking, his mind going back to the awkward encounter that barely lasted a moment. "Are you taking what he's taking."

"Mason wasn't on anything." Daniel defended, not even looking anywhere but straight ahead. Chris was envious. He felt unsafe outside, in the street, at night. A linger fear that someone is watching him, or following him. He had no idea what he would do if someone jumped out from behind the bush two meters ahead of them. His heart raced as they neared the bush.

Leaves, dark in the night, almost black as they morph together to create shapless illusions. Branches that were long and sharp enough to conceal someone. They walked past it.

Christopher tried not to look at it again. Instead focused on the fact Daniel had picked up his pace, and kept looking over at him. He had to bite his tongue, hard, to stop himself from barking out demands from his Brother.

Instead, he said in a soft tone. "I'm not gay."