Chapter 20

DANIEL walked into the back of the class, paint brushes lining the tables. He spotted Abagail leaning back on her chair, Ms Freyer nowhere to be seen. Other students mulled their way into the class with him. Daniel tried not not eagerly push past people to sit with Abagail.

"Abby." Daniel greeted, throwing himself into the chair beside her. Abagail leant over, kissing him deeply.

"What's up?" Abagail asked, noticing his anxious body language. His leg bouncing, his eagerness to get towards her. "Something happen?"

"I had a moment with my brother." Daniel shrugged, a smile on his face. "How is Mason?" Abagail's smile faded slightly.

"He doesn't want to talk about it." Abagail sighed. The two sat in silence,  Daniel's leg continued to jitter. Abagail pouted, resting her hand in his. "Maybe you could talk to him? Or get Christopher to?"

"I got Christopher interested in checking him out, but I don't think he is ready to talk to Mason just yet." Daniel said, furrowing his brows. "I could talk to Mason about it, but would he be comfortable talking to me?"

"I think he needs someone he didn't grow up with him to tell him to pull his head in." Abagail chuckled lowly, quietening down as Ms Freyer walked in.

"Okay - I'll talk to him when we go to the pack house this afternoon." Daniel nodded, releasing a breath. "What is it exactly that he doesn't want to talk about?"

"That he has a mate." Abagail whispered, not breaking eye contact from Ms Freyer stood at the front of the class. "And that he is scared it could comprise his position in the pack."

"Will it?" Daniel mumbled, staring down at their interlocked hands. This was the same pack that wanted their people to breed as early as they can.

"We won't let it." Abagail gritted her teeth. "It is known Caden is going to choose him as his head of medicine." She said, rubbing her thumb against the back of his knuckles.

"So he just needs someone to talk to?" Daniel asked bringing their interlocked hands into his lap.

"That... and maybe give him encouragment in pursuing your brother." Abagail said, squeezing his hand slightly.

"Pursuing? Really, you use pursuing." Daniel shook his head, grinning. "Did you... pursue me?"

"Don't make me hurt you." Abagail squinted her eyes at him, pulling her hand out of his, crossing her arms in a sulk.

"Sorry gorgeous." Daniel sighed, kissing her cheek gently. "Do you know any more on the... my Dad's followers hunting rogues?" Abagail looked around, turning to face Daniel as Ms Freyer gave the go ahead nod to the class. Everyone else begining to do their own projects.

"The rogues that we brought over, the Father and daughter, have integrated into a town house on pack land." She said, chewing on her lip as she leant in a little closer. He was the only person out of rank she would confide in. "We still haven't found the Mother, but he said their bond hasn't broken, she is out there somewhere. The pack made a deal that until we find her they don't need to leave... or become part of the pack."

"Oh." Was all Daniel could say. "Did you find out if my Dad eas involved?" He dared to ask, he was imprisoned... he had to know if there was any possible way that his Father could operate out of the facility.

"We... I don't know. No one can get any answers out of him." Abagail shook her head, her finger twirling around a red strand of hair.

Daniel thought for a moment. Then another. He had an idea, but he didn't think Abagail would like it... and neither would he. "What if... What if  went to go see him? And ask him questions. Maybe he'll give me the answers."

Abagail sat rigid in her seat, jaw clenching. Her muscles in her shoulders tightened as she tried calm herself. "I don't think that's a good idea." She said, breathing heavily through her nose.

"I understand, but if it needs to come to that... I want to help." He pressed, picking up a 6B pencil. He didn't know what he would draw, but it distracted him from what he was actually saying. What he was thinking.

"I won't let it come to that." Abagail reassured, pushing her own pen to paper.