03. Waffle Time

— • —

— • —

        I love Selena, no matter how weird our relationship is. She was my big sister, someone I went to for everything. For instance, when I got my period, I cried to Selena about it, thinking I broke something. And she does the same to me. Like when her husband, Robert, proposed, she ran all the way to my apartment so we could call our mom together. No matter what happened between us, we were always going to be each other's go to. So you could imagine my horror when I answered a call from Selena, just to be greeted by screaming.

I swear, I thought my soul left my body when I answered the call, just for Selena to scream and cry in response. And when she was finally able to form a coherent sentence, she wished my soul left my body, because I was pissed.

"You scared the hell out of me," I hissed, ignoring the odd looks I got from passing people. "Selena–Selena–Selena, stop crying!" I rolled my eyes as her crying only grew louder at my request, I can practically see my sister pacing back and fourth in her luxury apartment, her cleaning lady watching in both concern and confusion. "Selena, ya para!"

That seemed to do the trick, Selena's crying calming down a bit. "You sound like mom," she mumbled, the statement almost going unheard, had I not been paying close attention. "Okay, okay, I'm good now. Can you come over?"

"Not until you tell me what the hell is going on," I scoffed, glaring as someone pushed past me. I was five minutes away from work, and for once, I was actually early. I'm starting to believe God doesn't want me to be early for work ever, seeing as now he made Selena call me for whatever reason. He's clearly working hard to get me fired. Jokes on him, I can't be fired.

Selena's sharp intake of breathe brought me out of my thoughts. "I think I'm pregnant."

I don't know how the hell I did it, but somehow I got to Selena's apartment in fifteen minutes, despite it being a good twenty-five minutes away. The doorman didn't even bat an eye at my disheveled appearance, a result of my running, wordlessly opening the door for me, and acknowledging my thank you with a nod of his head. Once again, I tapped relentlessly on the button to my sister's floor, begging the elevator to begin moving.

'"I'm here!" I shouted as I stepped out of the elevator, alerting Selena of my arrival. Only a second passed before Selena came sliding into the room, immediately taking the bag from my hand, and running in the direction of the bathroom. I stood awkwardly in the center of the room for a moment before shrugging to myself, making my way to her kitchen. If she's making me late for work, she can at least give me breakfast.

"Why did you buy five?" Selena's voice rang from down the hall.

"Some work, some don't, so best of five!" I called back, eyes closing in on the waffle maker situated in the corner. I was so focused on the waffle, that I failed to notice my sister dragging herself into the room. She let out a huff, making me jump, quickly whirling around to face her. "All done?"