26. You Are Mine

— • —

 — • —

TRIGGER WARNING: ABUSE

— • —

VEE'S POV

I woke up with my arms still wound around Isaac, my cheek pressed against his back, leaving us with little to no space between us. Lifting myself slightly, I was able to let my eyes scan over his features. He looked at peace like this, not seconds away from making me cry, or seconds away from making himself cry, but calm. But I knew the things that troubled his mind. 

His mother seemed kind enough when I met her, and so did his sisters, so I can't imagine why she'd think not to warn Isaac. To not tell him that someone connected to his father was back in his life in a more permanent role, for the time being at least. I can only imagine how much it must have hurt him to see that man, to see the man that tried to take away his family's only chance at freedom from the abuse they faced. 

My heart clenched as I reached a hand up, pushing the hair out of his face. He shifted slightly at my touch, a small smile tugging at my lips when he unconsciously leaned into my touch, his breathing remaining steady as he slept. I could have spent all morning lying here with Isaac, holding him until he felt safe again, but it was Valentine's day. 

I felt dread come over me as I thought of the day, not because of the holiday, but because of the plans made prior to this day. Mandy and I adored the idea of double dating on Valentine's day before either of us had soulmates, and as soon as both of us had them, we made a reservation at those pretentious restaurants that make you book months in advance. Now I was regretting that decision because I'm sure the last thing Isaac wanted to do today is spend time with a bunch of people after what happened last night.

Moving slowly to not wake him up, I slid out of bed and out of the room. I let out a sigh as I shut the bedroom door, growing tenser and tenser the further I got from the door. I wanted to spend time with Isaac today, because not only was it Valentine's day, the universal day of love, but he was so vulnerable with me last night. I told him I wanted him to tell me more, and then two days later, he allows himself to be open enough to sob in my arms as he tells me more about a hard time in his life. The last thing I wanted was for him to feel as though I was abandoning him after all that, but I knew how reservations like this worked. If I bailed, Mandy would have to pay a hefty fee, and I also didn't want to bankrupt my best friend just as she began her wedding planning.

Making up my mind, I texted Mandy.

'hey, so i'm with isaac and things are bad. how bad of a fee would it be if we didnt go today?'

I was surprised to see the three dots appear just seconds after I sent the text.

'bad how? are you okay?'

'yeah im okay, but hes not. lots of family stuff, he came last night and im taking care of him'

'oh. well the restaurant said it would be a lot if all parties didnt attend. r u sure he wouldnt wanna go? maybe to get his mind off the family stuff?'