25. Mom's New Boyfriend

— • —

— • —

ISAAC'S POV

The pounding of my heart made my ears ring, my fingers gripping the steering wheel as tight as they possibly could. I know it wasn't safe to be driving right now, my headache and blurry vision offering a high probability of getting in an accident, but I didn't care. I needed to get as far away as possible from that hospital, from that family, from Vee. 

Just the thought of her made my heart ache. I wish I could remember only the pleasant things of our relationship, like the face she made when I dared her to bite into a lemon or the little whine that escapes her lips when I have to unwind my arms from around her in the morning. I wish I could only remember those. But instead, I'm plagued by the memories of her horror-stricken eyes as she stared up at me and her tear stained cheeks as she stumbled away from me.

No matter how hard I seem to try, things just never seem to go right for us. And rather than accepting that responsibility, I pin it all on her. Blame her for things that I failed to control, things that any normal person would be able to get a grip on. But I'm not normal, am I? I'm as damaged as they come, and Vee knows that better than anyone. 

With a huff, I got out of my car, slamming the door shut behind me before bounding up the driveway. It seemed my loud arrival was just loud enough to notify my sisters, as the door opened just as I got to the porch, Jessie stood with parted lips. She opened her mouth, most likely to question my sudden visit, but ultimately decided against it as a result of taking in my appearance. I could only imagine what I looked like to her with my hair sticking up in different directions, red flushed face and shaking hands at my side. 

So without a word, my sister ushered me into the house before wrapping her arms around me. I stood at least five inches taller than her, and yet I still slumped against her, my head falling to the nook of her neck. I sniffled pathetically, begging the tears that stung at my eyes to not dare shed in front of my sister, and as per usual, I failed again. The tears streaked down my cheek and onto Jessie's t-shirt, causing her to tense up for a short moment.

"Isaac, what happened?" she finally asked.

I hesitated to respond, unsure of how to phrase it correctly. I lost the love of my life again. She finally came to her senses that she's too good for me. I failed to convince her to stay with me. "I'm a failure." It seemed like the best response I could possibly give, covering every point without going too much into details. I could see Jessie was taken back by the answer, clearly not anticipating such a cryptic yet heavy loaded retort for her question. But she quickly recovered, her hand stroking my hair in a way only my little sister knew how to. A shaky exhale slipped past my lips as I relaxed into her arms, the pounding of my heart calming down. 

We stood in silence for a short while as I got my breathing back to normal, Jessie's tracing circles against my back. "Do you need me to call Vee?" Her question broke the silence in the worst way possible because instantly, I was brought back to the scene at the hospital. Seeing Vee ask me to leave her alone, to plead for me to leave because it was her sister's only wish. But I could see it in her eyes that her sister wasn't the only one who wanted me to go away. She wanted it just as badly. She wanted me as far away as possible from her, and she wanted Tom as close as possible.