16. I'm Not Happy

— • —

— • —

VEE'S POV

I don't remember just how long the water had been cascading down on me, but I know it's been entirely too long. I'd hoped by trapping myself in the shower where nobody could come bother me would help to ease the stress I felt on my shoulders, but all it did was make me curl into a fetal position as all my emotions overcame me at once. Though, I was grateful I'd decided to save my breakdown for the shower, as it saved me plenty of tissues now that the water was there to wash away all my tears before they were able to reach my cheeks. 

But I knew despite the streaks not making their way down my cheeks, I was crying. I was crying harder than I've ever cried before. 

My body was shaking in this room filled with steam, and my fingers had curled into my hair as I held my face in my hands. I could feel the ache in my throat from the rasps of my sobs, but I couldn't bring myself to stop. Everything was too much. My entire life had come tumbling down in a matter of months, and I'd somehow gone from this ambitious girl with a headstrong personality to this... pathetic excuse of a person.

I could feel my legs beginning to wobble beneath my weight as I gave up all my will to stay put together. Slowly, I sunk down into the tub, my knees pulled up to my bare chest as my shoulders continued to shake. Lowering my forehead to my knees, I inhaled a sharp breath, my eyes fluttering shut as I relived the events of the day unwillingly.

Isaac never took notice of my lack of affection for him that particular evening, or he did, but never seemed to let him hinder him from being himself. His hand had remained intertwined with mine as he leads me out of the bathroom and to the living room where his mother and sister waited. That was when it dawned on me that I was meeting his family just moments after trying to put an end to our relationship altogether.

It was the strangest predicament I'd ever gotten myself into.

I could remember the way his mom's eyes lit up upon seeing us and our hands intertwined, and much like her daughter, she didn't hesitate to wrap me in a hug. I stiffened in her hold, and with Isaac's hand still held in my other, I offered her a one-armed hug. But that wasn't what hurt me the most. It was when she pulled away from me, a delicate smile on her lips and she told me, "Welcome to the family."

The family.

I wanted no part in their family, if only she knew that before giving me an unwanted position in it. I wanted to be as far away as possible from the boy standing closest to me. I wanted to forget all about him, and yet here I was, forcing a smile for his mother as she gave me the label of her newest daughter. 

I think Isaac knew I was uncomfortable with all of her affection, and so he gently pulled me into his side. Dropping the hand that held mine, he instead wrapped it around my shoulder, using the closeness to press a delicate kiss to my forehead. If only he knew his touch didn't bring me comfort at that moment, it made me feel sick to my stomach. But he didn't know. Because a smile tugged at my lips at that moment and I glanced up at him with the best lovestruck look I could muster up, and it seemed to do the trick since Jessie let out a coo at the sight of us.