11. Best Friend Love

— • —

— • —

I'm wrong.

It's almost painful to admit, but I am completely and utterly wrong. I was always a good judge of character, always being able to spot a bad person when they enter my life and hastily get rid of them before they proceeded to ruin my life. Except for this time, I was wrong. Because someone I thought could do me no wrong, someone the universe decided I was meant to spend the rest of my life with, was a bad person. The same boy who was nervous to show me his hand because of his insecurities is the same one who left me ashamed to show my wrist because they were tainted with black and blue.

I found myself frowning as I ran my fingers over the marks, a temporary reminder of who my boyfriend and soulmate is. As I examined the splashes of color tainting my wrist, I began to think. What did I do to deserve this? As a child, I read so many books about soulmates, something my mother and sister both told me was something to be excited about. In those books, they tell you all about how this person is specifically picked for you because you deserve one another, you deserve what the other has to offer for you. So, what did I do to deserve what Isaac had to offer for me, and what do I have to do to get it revoked?

Before I could stop it, a tear slipped from my eye, which I hastily wiped away. I didn't need to cry over this. It wasn't going to help me in any way. Besides, I'm sure this was a one-time thing, something he did in the heat of the moment. Because I'm not a bad person. So the universe wouldn't screw me over like this. He'll go back to being the sweet Isaac I met months ago, and we'll move past this, I know we will.

A knock on my door brought me back to reality, and I quickly moved my bracelet to cover my wrist before calling for the person to come in. I smiled slightly at the sight of my best friend, gesturing for her to come forward, Mandy shutting the door behind her. She quietly sat down in the chair in front of my desk, her lips tugged into a frown. "These are all your messages from Tom," she said softly, placing a stack of post-its on my desk.

I furrowed my brows in confusion as I collected the papers. "Why didn't you just connect him?" I mumbled, skimming over the small notes. "I haven't had any calls all afternoon."

"Aren't you guys fighting?" I raised my head to look at Mandy, expecting to see her cracking a smile before admitting she was kidding, but her face was deadly serious.

"No?" I placed the post-its to the side, leaning forward slightly. "Tom and I don't really fight. Why'd you think that?"

"Well, Isaac told me you're mad at Tom," I tensed up, "and are really sensitive about it, so I shouldn't bring it up." A look of realization settled on Mandy's features, the look on my face most likely a dead giveaway of the truth. "He was lying, wasn't he?" I nodded, ashamed of the antics of my boyfriend. That's something I'll definitely have to bring up, because whether he likes it or not, Tom isn't going anywhere. "Oh god, it's finally happening. How did Isaac find out?"