24. The Second Second Choice

— • —

— • —

Vee was shaking with anxiety in the waiting area of the hospital. Due to her very reckless driving, she happened to be on the first to arrive at the hospital with Mandy, the two girls forced to endure the waiting game just the slightest bit longer than everybody else. Shortly following came her family, her mother practically vibrating with excitement when she stepped in.

All tension between the members of the family seemed to fade as they united for the same reason, and for that, Vee was grateful. 

"Hey, did you call Tom?" Vee whispered to Mandy, who'd been rapidly typing on her phone.

Mandy's head shot up, and she nodded. "I'm texting him right now, should I tell him to come?" Vee paused, before nodding, remembering the brief argument her and Selena had a few weeks ago where she said she'd want him there. "Have you...called Isaac?"

Vee sighed, thinking back to the argument she and Selena had. Selena had no remorse expressing her discontent with her and Isaac's relationship, and that was precisely what the argument was about. What started as a brief conversation regarding Selena's pregnancy quickly turned into a heated shouting match when the idea of Isaac being present for the birth was brought up. Much like Mandy and her wedding, Selena didn't want Isaac to be there for one of the happiest moments of her life, insisting that she'd rather Tom be there than Isaac if it was absolutely necessary for Vee to bring one of the two with her. Vee didn't understand the comparison at first, but following their brief moment in her bedroom, she understood entirely now.

"No," Vee answered after a moment of silence. "And I don't think I should."

"Why is that?"

"Selena hates him," Vee responded bluntly, and as expected, Mandy didn't seem shocked by this revelation. "And she explicitly stated she didn't want him to be here." 

For a second, Vee's eyes drifted past Mandy's shoulder, and she frowned upon locking eyes with her mother, who immediately looked away. It was apparent that she'd be overhearing their entire conversation, but what confused Vee the most was the delighted look on her mother's face. She expected her mother to be disappointed hearing word that everybody seemed to be against her soulmate, even offer her two cents for a situation she knew nothing about, but no. She stayed silent, smiling to herself as she sat up straight, looking poised and relaxed as she always did. 

Vee wasn't given a chance to dwell anymore on her mother's reaction as a new figure stepped into the hospital, hair disgruntled but smile still intact. Tom wasted no time coming over to the family, each member shooting up from their seat to greet him. Including Ana. Vee watched in utter shock as her mother extended her arms out to Tom, who looked equally as confused but still accepted it, the two hugging it for a short moment before Ana took a step back and settled in her seat once more. Pushing her thoughts to the back of her mind, she managed a smile just as Tom stepped forward to greet her, arms wrapping around his torso for a much-needed hug.