14. Never Been the Same

— • —

— • —

ISAAC'S POV

There was an overwhelming emotion swelling in my chest as I stared down at my lit up phone screen, a stream of messages left unanswered. My thumb twitched to type out another text, before quickly heaving out a sigh and discarding my phone to the side.

I'd messed up this time, I knew that much. The look of fear in Venus' eyes as she scrambled across the floor away from the destruction I caused was etched in my mind. And now she wasn't answering my texts, and I knew she was reading them because she'd gone out of her way to switch on reading receipts, so all that was left for me to do was wait. Wait for her to make the decision to respond to me, or wait to find my own urge to go track her down and figure out a way for us to move past this all.

It was the worst anger fit I've had yet, and I don't know how I was meant to prevent it from happening again. Not when Venus still maintained such a strong relationship with Tom. I wasn't an idiot. I could see he had feelings for her, and she had them too, but his numbers didn't match hers, so she was with me. I know that's the only thing stopping her from acting on her feelings. His palm wasn't tattooed with the numbers to her heart, mine was, and that's the advantage I had over him.

If I didn't have these numbers, I would have lost Venus after our first date when I hesitated to kiss her at her doorstep. Because Venus liked someone who was certain of what they wanted, who took initiative, someone who wasn't like me.

"Isaac?" I was brought out of my thoughts at the sound of the voice, the girl stepping further into the room. She was frowning at me as she sunk down on the couch beside me, her arms wrapping around my torso to give me a tight squeeze. "Anything I can do to cheer you up?"

Glanced down at my phone, still no notifications on display, I nodded in response to her question. "I know exactly what you could do." She lifted her head to meet my eyes, rolling her eyes as a smirk tugged at my lips. "Judging by that look, I'm guessing you know what I'm going to ask for?"

She nodded, heaving out a sigh before yelling, "Mom! Isaac wants me to bake him cookies, do you want some too?" With that, my younger sister hopped off the couch and walked to the kitchen with a new purpose.

Settling back into the cushions of the couch, I picked up my phone, not at all surprised to see the lack of notifications on the screen. Instead, I was greeted with a photo of Vee I took not too long ago, her hand reached out trying to swat the camera away, as a laugh left her parted lips. I could feel my heart sink when the screen faded back to black, yet another reminder that I'd never have that Venus again.

"Still nothing?"

I looked up as my mother stepped into the room, a sad smile spread across her lips. "No," I mumbled, lowering my phone again as she stepped further into the room. I watched as she sat beside me, her hand lowering to rest on my hand, gently squeezing it in what I assumed was meant to be comforting.