08. Conflicted

— • —

— • —

My life is a shithole.

Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. But serious shit is happening, and I don't know how to deal with it anymore. My mother is becoming unbearable, Mandy has little to no time for me anymore, and both Tom and Isaac are being weird.

           Following the interaction at my office, my mom tried again to reach me, this time waiting for me inside my apartment. First of all, I have no idea how she got into my apartment in the first place, considering the only person with a key is Mandy and Selena, two people I know would never willingly hand the key over to her. I was already having a bad idea, my photo shoot that evening get canceled at the last minute, meaning my entire evening went to waste. Not that she cared, as she didn't even take a second to consider I had a life of my own to worry about before complaining about my behavior. She'd gone too far by showing up at my office unannounced, making me look like a fool as I kicked out my own mother from my office. It was embarrassing, and I wasn't going to get over that just because she feels as though she's entitled to be apart of my life after years of ignoring me.

          And that's exactly what I told her. Let's just say the "talk" we had following that was so bad that I got a noise complaint from someone two floors above me.

           After successfully kicking her out for the second time, I asked Isaac to come over. But, of course, I forgot him and I were also in an argument. An argument I really wasn't ready to address just yet. So what do I do? Ask someone else to come over as well, because Isaac would never make a scene if someone else was there as well. He was too much of a people pleaser to do something like that.

          My first instinct was to call Mandy. She was always good at deflecting, meaning any time Isaac would try to bring up the topic, Mandy would find a way to stray away from the topic. But, as my luck would have it, Mandy was visiting her dad at the time, who happened to live on the other side of the city.

          Oh, but wait! I have two best friends. Surely the other one is available, right? I mean, he told me he was only going to see a movie, and he could even bring Harrison if it came down to it. Right?

          Wrong.

          Tom actually sounded like he wanted to come over, that is until I mentioned Isaac. His mood completely flipped at the mention of the boy, something I didn't understand, but Tom was quick to deny my request, insisting that Harrison wanted to go out for drinks just the two of them. I can't lie, I wanted to cry. Hearing Tom lie to me just to get out of hanging out made me want to burst into tears, but I didn't, somehow convincing myself that there was the even the littlest bit of truth to his excuse and it wasn't anything I did.

           So Isaac came over, and as I expected, we argued.

           He told me how wrong I was. How childish my actions were and how easily I could get over the years of e,optional abuse my mom made me endure. He told me I was letting my insecurities get in the way of what really matters, which is family. It was only when tears began to pool in my eyes that he stopped, the room completely silent as I cried out, sinking down to the ground.