23. Above the Ground

— • —

— • —

'Where are you?'

'with mandy'

'And who else?'

'just mandy, we're planning for her wedding'

'Send me picture proof, now.'

'okay?'

Mandy made a face when Vee lifted her phone above her head, her face completely serious as she got a photo with Mandy settled in the background. She watched with furrowed brows as her best friend lowered her phone, typing with a deep frown before practically slamming her phone down and pushing it away from her. She met Mandy's confused gaze with a huff, shaking her head.

"Isaac is being extra annoying today," Vee mumbled, sliding a magazine across the counter and mindlessly flicking it open. 

Mandy placed her hand on top of Vee's fidgeting pair, telling her with a gentle shake of her head that she wasn't going to drop it so quickly. "Didn't you meet his whole family yesterday?" Vee nodded. "Did it not go well?"

"It went fine..." Vee trailed off, the image of Isaac's downcast eyes imprinted in her mind moments after letting himself be vulnerable with her. They made progress, genuine, actual progress, and it all went down the drain the moment she pulled out her phone.

"I know that face." Vee's teeth latched onto her bottom lip as the guilt she felt that night came rushing back. "Something happened, and you're not telling me."

"It was nothing too bad," she lied, a finger tapping against the counter as she squirmed in her seat. "I ended up getting super drunk and not remembering the rest of the night, anyways. So, please try to keep your usual yelping and squealing to a minimum because I'm nursing a hangover."

Mandy scoffed, pushing Vee by her shoulder in a playful manner, allowing her to change the subject for now. There was definitely more to the story that wasn't being shared, but she wasn't going to push anymore, especially when it was still so fresh. It was relatively quiet as the two girls went through catalogs, circling items they liked, and bookmarking pages for highly recommended items. Mandy, someone who didn't enjoy silence nearly as much as Vee did, finally took it upon herself to break the silence.

"So," Vee glanced up from the floral arrangements she was checking out, eyeing Mandy, "can you see yourself getting married soon?"

"No," Vee answered instantly, tensing up immediately after. Mandy turned to her, a shocked expression on her face, causing the guilt in Vee's stomach to intensify. "I-I mean..."

Vee paused when Mandy put her hand on top of hers, a tender look in her eyes. "Take your time," she said quietly, turning over Vee's hand to hold it properly, squeezing it gently.

Exhaling a shaky sigh, Vee settled her gaze on the glossy photos of brides, their long gowns cascading behind them. She couldn't help the ache in her heart at the sight of the smiling women, the white dress seeming like a distant dream at this point.