12. Secret Code

— • —

— • —

          I don't know what possessed me to suggest the idea of the four of us having lunch together, but it was a really stupid idea. I mean, I have to sit next to Isaac, who was just glaring across the table at Tom. And sit across from Mandy, who glared over at Isaac whenever he wasn't looking, which was a majority of the time. Then Tom, who despite being glared at by Isaac, never once glanced his way and kept his gaze settled on me. It was an uncomfortable situation, and if we weren't in such a crowded place, I'm sure a fight would have broken out already.

          If the obvious tension in the air wasn't bad enough, nobody wanted to speak. I made attempts at conversation, but the only person to respond was Tom, who was promptly cut off by Isaac dramatically clearing his throat or letting out a series of coughs. It was obvious he didn't want to hear Tom's voice, and I don't understand why. I told him when we first started dating that Tom is my best friend and that wasn't going to change, and yet here we are, in a ridiculously uncomfortable situation that was meant to be prevented.

          "Okay, are we gonna talk about this or what?" My gaze shifted to Mandy, who was gesturing between myself and Isaac with a single finger. "What's happening here?"

          Oh god, please don't, Mandy. Isaac let out a scoff at her question, and I turned in time to see him lean forward, his eyes narrowed at my best friend. "What's happening here? Am I not allowed to have lunch with my girlfriend?"

         "Oh, you are," Mandy mumbled sarcastically, matching Isaac's narrow-eyed stare. "I'm referring to your toxic behavior." I instantly tensed up, my hand going to where my wrist was beneath the table, my bracelet still in place. "I mean, telling me Tom and Vee are fighting so I won't connect Tom?"

          "What?" Tom interjected, an incredulous look on his face. I wasn't even sure if I was telling him the real reason I couldn't answer his calls, but looks like Mandy made that decision for me.

         "Oh, hun, you and Tom aren't fighting? I thought you were, which is why I was so surprised to see him in your office today. I mean, you told me last night you were mad at him for trying to meddle in our relationship." My lips parted in surprise at the blatant lie Isaac was telling my friends. Right. In. front. Of. My. Face. "Or did you not want him to know that?"

          I could feel all eyes turn to me at once, and just as I was prepared to shut down the lie, I choked on my words. A hand had wrapped around my thigh and the fingers were digging into my skin, causing me to close my mouth to muffle the whimper. I looked at Isaac in a plea, only for him to stare blankly back at me, not a single emotion visible in his dark eyes. I swallowed harshly, lowering my gaze to my lap so as to hide the tears gathering in my eyes.

         "Vee?"

          I looked up upon hearing Tom's soft voice, and I can see in his eyes he was begging for me to say what Isaac just said wasn't true. But the fingers dug deeper into my thigh, and I had to bite my lip to keep from crying out at the rush of pain shooting up my leg. I placed my hand on top of his, trying to discreetly pry his fingers off of him, but it only made him push harder. I locked eyes with him once again, tears pooling in my eyes now, and all he did was nod, not at all caring about the amount of pain he was causing me.