09. Disowned

— • —

— • —

I think I made a terrible mistake.

I don't know how she did it, but somehow Selena managed to convince me to go over to her house for a "family meeting." I cringed the moment the words left her mouth, and when I went to decline her offer, Selena informed me that she would revoke the title of godmother I've earned. I knew it was total bullshit because she'd never do that to me, but I felt guilty. Curse my good heart and always guilty conscious. So I allowed her to pick me up from my office and drag me to her house.

But wait. This whole "family meeting" gets worse.

Selena promised me it wouldn't take long, so I suggested going during my lunch break, in case it did take too long so I can use that as an excuse to leave. She accepted the circumstances, and came to get me during my lunch. But silly me, I forgot I have a boyfriend. A boyfriend who works in the same building as me and always wants to have lunch with me. How could I forget? So Selena comes to get me, then sees Isaac walking into the building with some lunch, completely unaware of who he was. That is until he grinned at the sight of me, before proceeding to greet me with a forehead kiss. Selena screamed. Isaac jumped. Long story short, she mentioned what we were doing, and Isaac being himself decided he wanted to attend for two reasons. He'd been bugging me to introduce him to my family and was keen on doing it himself, and he also wanted to guarantee I'd "make amends" with my mother.

I say "make amends" because it wasn't going to happen. No matter how much he wanted to push me to do it, I will never utter the words "you're forgiven" to that witch, not that I can see that happening. My mother doesn't apologize to anybody.

"Selena, I don't want to do this," I mumbled, my arms crossed over my chest. We've been parked for five minutes now, both Isaac and Selena standing on the passenger side, trying to coax me out of the car. I don't usually resort to such childish measures, but I couldn't do it. I physically can't face my mother, not after the argument we had at my apartment. It certainly wouldn't help that Isaac was present, seeing as he was mentioned one too many times in said argument.

"Vee, c'mon," Selena sighed, my eyes darting up to hers. "I just want this all to be over with. I'm just as mad at Mom as you are, but I can't be stressing like this. It's not healthy. So if not for your sake, do it for mine? For the baby?"

I know she's trying to manipulate me. And I hate that it's working.

"Fine," I huffed out, the two sighing in relief. "But Isaac isn't coming."

"What?" Isaac scoffed, stepping back as I got out of the car. "You can't be serious."

"I am very serious." I crossed my arms once more. "I didn't want you to meet my family, and you knew that. I don't know why you even came."

Isaac let out a heavy sigh. "I came because I want you to make up with your mom."

"This isn't the right time to meet my family, and I've told you why. Why can't you just let me introduce you when the time is right?"