21. Obligation Not Love

— • —

— • —

"Ring, ring, bitch!"

Vee looked up from the folder she held in her hand, a stack of photos in them, greeted by the sight of Mandy stepping into the room with a wide grin. At first, her brows knitted together, confused by the odd greeting used before a sharp gasp slipped past her lips. On Mandy's extended left hand was a shiny ring, the diamond catching light from the sunlight streaming through the window. In an instant, Vee was gripping her best friend's hand, her eyes wide in amazement at the new piece of jewelry. 

"Mandy," she breathed out in amazement.

Mandy let out a low giggle. "I know!" She watched with bright eyes as Vee held her hand closer to her face, eventually meeting her eye with a look of wonder. An excited squeal escaped her when Vee discarded her folder, jumping up to wrap her arms around the girl. "Don't hug me too tight, my fiancee may get jealous."

Vee reeled back, a wide grin spread across her lips. She felt nothing but genuine happiness for the girl stood in front of her, the happiness radiating off of her, making it impossible to feel anything but. The two girls used to make bets when they were both single about who'd find their soulmate first, which eventually led to a pact that if neither of them found theirs by the age of thirty, they'd forget the numbers and just marry each other. Yet here Mandy was, engaged to her soulmate after less than a year of dating.

"So, when are we celebrating?" Vee asked excitedly.

"Tonight." Her eyes widened in shock. "Nessie knew I would say yes, so she planned the engagement party for tonight. I never got the chance to introduce you guys, so she wasn't able to invite you ahead of time, so I get if you can't—"

"Are you joking?" Vee cut her off, astonishment evident on her face. "I'm obviously not gonna miss your engagement party, Mandy! We're best friends."

Mandy grinned. "Okay, good, because it would kinda suck if my maid of honor wasn't there." Vee smile at her friend, before her smile dropped upon realizing what she was just called. Her bottom lip jutted out, and she let out a squeak before rushing forward to wrap the girl in a hug, Mandy letting out a giggle. "Oh, and it's an all girls night, so..."

"No, Isaac, got it," Vee snickered. Of course, Mandy would be someone to want an all girl's engagement party.

Except she didn't.

Just a few hours later, after getting all dolled up and sending Isaac a series of texts about where she would be, she made her way to Mandy's engagement party, only to realize seconds after stepping into the packed hall that her best friend lied. This was not at all an all girls party, in fact, almost half of the room was filled with men, along with every worker being a man. Vee couldn't help but frown as her eyes trailed over the large group of partygoers, most of which she didn't know, suddenly feeling very lonely in this room filled with people.