05. The Amanda Show

— • —

— • —

         When I was twenty-one, I was promoted to my current position. Being boosted up in the company meant getting more perks, like a personal assistant. Which is when I hired Mandy. It's been over a year now since that happened, and still, I find myself baffled by how perky she was in the morning.

"Good morning!" Her high-pitched greeting was enough to make me jump the moment I stepped in my office, seeing the girl lounging across my couch, photo album situated on her stomach. "You were taking long, so I explored," she grinned, gesturing to the book she had. "You never told me you shot with Jennifer Lawrence!"

"Not an experience I want to relive," I muttered, dropping all my belongings onto a chair. "If I had a worst photoshoots list, she would definitely be on it. Let's leave it at that."

Mandy took the hint to drop the topic, putting the book aside before bringing her feet back down to the ground. "Well, since you're here now, I can ask you who Isaac–who are you texting?"

I didn't even bother to look up from the girl, too focused on the string of texts I received, only seconds between each of them. My night had been somewhat eventful. As promised, Tom ordered in Mexican for us, before settling on watching Titanic. Sufficiently stuffed with food, then spending a solid fifteen minutes crying was enough to soothe both myself and Tom into a peaceful slumber. Thankfully, Tom knew I had work, so he woke me up early enough that I had time to go to my apartment first.

"I left one of my books at Tom's house, it must have fallen out," I mumbled in response, not thinking much of it.

Like the idiot I am, I forgot Mandy wasn't completely up to date with my friendship with Tom. So when the girl let out a high-pitched squeal, I flinched, looking up to see a widely grinning girl.

"You hung out last night?"

"Slept over," I sighed, typing back a response. "By accident, don't get any ideas." My brows furrowed, and I lifted my gaze back to Mandy. "Did you mention Isaac earlier?"

"Oh, no, you are not changing the subject right now," she shook her head, clasping her hands together. "So you and Tom are close now? Like actual friends?"

"I guess," I shrugged, letting out a sigh immediately after as I sent a text. "Keep your cool, alright? I told him to bring my book here, so don't freak out when you see him."

"I'm calm, I'm cool," Mandy attempted to say nonchalantly, but I could see right through her. Might as well warn Tom about her now. "Anyways, yeah, this Isaac guy came by earlier. Seemed pretty disappointed to see it was just me in here, though."

"Can't blame him."

"You are particularly quick witted today," Mandy pointed out, making me arch an eyebrow at her. "Was yesterday that good?"