17. The Worst Nightmare

— • —

— • —

I don't think I made the wrong decision.

Choosing to stay with Isaac, to give us another chance, has only helped me for the better.

My bruises had long since faded, and so did Isaac's violent tendencies. Everything seemed to be going well for us. We saw each other almost every day, sometimes at work, but usually outside of work. His constant scowls had been replaced by delighted smiles, green eyes turning bright each time they settled on me. He'd place delicate kisses on my cheek, and subtly brush my hand in an effort to coax me into intertwining my own with his.

He told me loved me, a lot.

Whether I say it back is another story.

Selena claims we've unofficially moved in together, considering each and every time she came to see me, she'd frown at the sight of Isaac on my couch over my shoulder. Our relationship had taken a drastic turn for the worse. How it was possible for us to go from distant, to extremely close, then back to distant was unknown to me. I thought that we'd fixed our relationship to the point that damage wasn't possible, and yet it was. Damage in the form of Isaac.

Selena wasn't one to keep her opinions to herself, she never has been, and she especially isn't now that her hormones have gone all over the place. So when she came back to my apartment the following day of my breakdown and saw Isaac lounged across my couch in pajamas, I immediately recognized the fire that blazed in her eyes. She despised him, and she made that known when she shouted the words, "I fucking hate you" to Isaac as I ushered her out of my apartment. Seeing me stood there with a look of shock was enough to set her off all over again, and she was back to begging me to leave Isaac behind and escape with her. And when I said no, she visibly deflated all over again, and thus began the gradual decline of our sisterly bond.

I knew she was still checking in on me though, because every once in a while I'll walk to the door of my office then pause to hear Mandy's conversation. All I needed to hear were the words "vee" "okay" and "don't worry" to know it was my sister calling to check up on me. Then I'd step out and Mandy would quickly end the conversation, flash a smile to me and begin scribbling on a post-it note that was already written on.

I could tell Mandy was concerned too, though she went about it a completely different way than Selena did. In fact, she probably went about it the smartest way possible. By bringing Tom into it. With the two of them smiling at me and waving a bag of chipotle in front of me like lottery prize money, I couldn't help but blabber about the state of my relationship just to be graced by the wondrous taste of a burrito bowl. I could see the two of them sharing looks every once in a while when I mention small spats that went down between Isaac and I, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

Our relationship was better than it's ever been, and I wasn't going to let outside opinions ruin that for me.

Or I wouldn't have a choice in that matter, as Selena's baby shower invitation would argue otherwise.