Pilot

**READ ME READ ME READ ME: This is an extremely important author's note so son of a bitch, READ ME. This book will be updated EVERY 2 WEEKS ON SATURDAYS until I am finished writing Thorn. Thorn only has maybe 5 chapters max left, so it won't be long but I'm letting you know ahead of time. 

DO. NOT. ASK. ME. TO. UPDATE. EARLY. Your comment will just get ignored completely. Some people don't understand that I have a life outside of wattpad and cannot be writing 24/7. After Thorn is finished, updates will (hopefully if everything goes according to plan) be every week. 

IF YOU ARE AN IMPATIENT READER LIKE MYSELF THAT DOESN'T LIKE TO WAIT OR DOESN'T LIKE CLIFFHANGERS THEN DON'T FREAKING READ THIS TILL IT'S COMPLETED. Comments complaining about having to wait or about my cliffhangers (unless funny and witty) grind my fucking gears. THAT'S ALL! THANKS FOR BEING SO AMAZING AND FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

TIME IN CHAPTER (for reference): November 1st - Evening

Poppy's POV

I kept my head lowered as I tried my best to tune out of the conversation my father was having with our Alpha. It was considered highly disrespectful to eavesdrop on confidential conversations, an offense punishable by ten silver-laced whip lashes.

My father was a highly respected man amongst our pack as he was the head warrior in charge of all training and combat - a position necessary in our war-happy society.

He wouldn't be if they all knew the real him.

Swallowing deeply, I forced the thoughts to the back of my mind. I could still feel the phantom burn of the flesh covering my back from the last time I got too lippy with my father. Those five lashes were the slowest-healing wounds I'd ever received in my life. I've had six months to mull over the memory, and though my marred skin had finally morphed into thick, pink scars, the memory was still fresh as ever in my mind.

"Poppy, go wake Tansy from her nap." My father said, pausing his conversation to give me the order after taking a quick glance at his watch.

"Just a minute, please. I have to get this chicken out and ready to go or it won't be done in time for dinner." I murmured politely as I wound my hands behind my back and stared at my feet, assuming a respectful position.

"I said, go wake your sister up from her nap." He growled, the noise sent a small rumble through the floor of the kitchen. I gulped before nodding quickly and making a mad dash for my room.

I'd protested profusely when my father had moved my baby sister's sizeable crib into my living quarters. He claimed he wasn't getting enough sleep with her constantly waking up in her own room screaming for someone in the middle of the night and didn't want to be jostled awake by my mother being that person to soothe her. That was just one of the many arguments that had led up to me mouthing off to him. Two years later and we still share a room.

Pushing the door to my room open, I quietly nudged Tansy's small frame before brushing her crazy curls out of her face. A fond smile pulled at the edges of my lips as she sleepily stirred awake.

"Poppy?" She whispered out in a daze.

"Yes, sweetheart. It's time to get up, we don't want you sleeping through dinner." I teased while lightly poking her tummy where I knew she was ticklish. She giggled loudly before squealing as she tried to angle her small body away from my hands. I just laughed along with her before scooping her up in my arms and resting her on my hip. She was still only four-years-old, but the pack doctor had said that she was quite small for her age - something that was obvious when you looked at her.