Playing With Fire

**Here's the next chapter. Sorry I didn't get a chance to upload yesterday. Chapter 12 is already on wattpad and it's steamy af ya'll. Don't wanna miss it. Link to my inkitt is in my bio!!**

Poppy's POV

After getting home and getting the water heater installed, Knox mumbled that he needed to leave.

"Where are you going?" I asked quietly. I wasn't sure what it was, but I didn't want him to leave. Though he didn't talk much at all, I found myself liking his company. He listened when I talked - even if it wasn't about anything important or anything he was particularly interested in. He never made it seem like he was annoyed. He always gave me his full attention and acknowledged what I was saying.

It was a nice change.

"Border patrol. I will be back tonight," he said. I nodded and saw him to the door - which still desperately needed to be replaced, something I was reminded of by the look of disdain Knox gave the rotted piece of wood.

"Tomorrow I'll replace this," he insisted to which I nodded. I opened my mouth to say goodbye when he surged forward and rubbed his cheek against both of my own one by one, rubbing his scent into my skin.

The only time I'd ever seen any male wolf do this to a female wolf was when they'd yet to be marked but had made a verbal claim. I stood shell-shocked, unable to speak as he pulled away and left. It took me a few minutes to snap out of my reverie and realize I was making my house colder than it needed to be by standing there with the door open.

Despite the chill in my house now, my body felt hot all over. I desperately pressed my palms to my cheeks to try and lessen the intense shade of red I knew they were. I released a quick breath from my mouth before turning and facing my living room. Deciding I wanted to get the painting out of the way, and spend some more time with Grace, I mind-linked her and asked if she wanted to come over and help me finish.

Oh thank God, I'm so bored right now. Jason just left to do border patrol for the night and warned me not to get into any more trouble.

I giggled at her reply before dragging my bed back into my room and throwing a few more logs into the fire. She'd just showed up when I had finished taping up the baseboards and setting down drop cloths.

"Wow, this place is really starting to come along," she commented. I smiled with a nod before stepping back and admiring the place.

"I think so too. I only have three more rooms left to paint and then I can start putting the new flooring in!" I exclaimed in excitement.

"Then what the hell are we waiting for? Let's get them done!" She insisted before tossing me a roller and popping open a can of paint. Thankfully, she thought to bring a Bluetooth speaker and started blasting a throwback playlist. We giggled and messed around the entire time we painted, making it feel like less than just a mere chore to be done.

Halfway through, I grew a bit hot and had to take the large sweatshirt that I was wearing off. It was then that Grace's loud gasp caught me off guard.

"What?!" I demanded as she stared at me in shock.

"What the hell is that!" she screeched while pointing at a spot on my neck. I covered the area with my hand, confused as to what she was referring to.

"What? What is it?!" I asked frantically.

"Oh my god, Poppy, are those canine punctures?" she questioned flabbergasted before coming closer. She ran her hand over my neck before sucking in a breath.

"Holy shit! You've only been here a few days! This is a partial claim!" she exclaimed. I was so confused as to what she was referring to so I ran to my bathroom and examined the area of skin in the mirror. Sure enough, a vast majority of my neck was covered in dark purple love bites, but right towards the base of my neck were two perfect little superficial holes. I had no idea what they meant, but I knew for a fact they were from Knox and they were apparently a big deal if Grace's reaction was anything to go by.