The Search

**Woohoo! Here's the next update. I hope you guys enjoy! Sorry I haven't been very active on either here or inkitt, I've just been incredibly busy with school and have both an exam and midterm competency for my health assessment course this coming week!**

Poppy's POV

It took the entire group a week to iron out all the nitty-gritty details of the search party and its logistics before things could be put into motion. I was so proud of the way Knox was not only taking charge and commanding everyone like a true Alpha should, but also incorporating everyone in the process and not operating as a complete tyrant. The hardest part of the entire process was finding someone Knox trusted enough to not only watch over me as I stayed behind to train - as I promised Knox I would - but also someone to watch over the entire pack as well.

In the end, Knox sacrificed leaving Zane behind - the one warrior Alpha Aaron sent us that he'd come to trust the most out of them all. Thankfully, Knox was able to find and vet ten more men from this pack to take with him on the search mission. If it hadn't been for my mother's quiet uprising, and her approval of each man, I don't think Knox would've trusted anyone enough to take them with. The decision of who would watch over the pack was the one Knox made the quickest, much to everyone's surprise. He sensibly chose my mother as she'd already gained the trust of most of the pack and had previous experience in leadership within this very pack.

I started my training the day we'd decided on the base of the plan and its backup should things not go the way we were hoping. It was the most labor-intensive thing I'd ever been through. My mornings started before the sun came up and ended after it had gone down. I started every day of training with an hour session of yoga with other women in the pack to ensure I was properly stretched out and wouldn't injure myself later on. Then, I was forced to endure a five-mile run...uphill. Cardio had never been my strong suit and I seriously contemplated the sanity of the others who'd joined me just for fun. Then, I would spend the rest of my day doing some one-on-one basic combat training so I wouldn't be totally helpless if I ended up needing to fight - God forbid.

The only breaks I got during the days were to eat or use the restroom. By the time my trainer and I would call it a day, I would be absolutely exhausted and famished; one night, I actually ate more than Knox had.

The first few nights were the hardest; he had to not only carry me upstairs, but also help me bathe, towel myself off, slip into my pajamas, and get settled into bed as well. After my body became more used to the rigorous schedule, I was able to do it all for myself - not that Knox didn't still hover over me like a hawk just in case.

I had to laugh when Knox told my trainer I would be taking the day off the morning before they were set to leave. He'd been miffed about our lack of intimacy which had been caused by my sore muscles and worn out body. I didn't complain about his demand one bit as I missed our frequent bedroom activities as well.

When night had come, and Knox finally laid down with me after packing the things he needed, I couldn't help the quiet sob that bubbled from my chest. Knox and I hadn't spent a single night apart since our mating and in less than twelve hours I would be alone in this bed. He cradled me against his body, leaving no space between us as he stroked his hand over the back of my head and down to my mid back.

"It's alright, Flower. I promise I will be fine. I'm not happy about this either, but these couple of days will fly by. I promise," he murmured with his lips pressed against my forehead. I clutched his shoulders for dear life, not wanting to ever let go. I shouldn't have been as emotional as I was - I mean, it was only two days for Pete's sake! - but I couldn't stop the tears. Sensing that I was too worked up to be brought down by words, Knox shifted our bodies until he was looming above me. My thighs were spread as he kneeled between them, the palm of each of his hands pressed against the mattress on either side of my head.