Prologue

POV Unknown:

The rain fell harshly, splattering the roads and turning the grass into thick, squishy mud. The dimmed lights from lampposts offered a small amount of guidance down the dark sidewalks. It would've been quite beautiful if it weren't for the circumstances I was under.

Nick was at home watching the children along with Lucius, and Narcissa was with me. I was fully aware of the tears streaming down my face as we approached the house. The family I had chosen to protect my baby girl through these dark times.

"Its here," Narcissa whispered looking up at the brick house. The lights were off and not a sound was heard from inside.

"I don't want to do this, Cissy," I sobbed quietly.

"Neither do I," Narcissa answered grimly, "But it must be done. It isn't safe for this child. Her destiny is much greater than birthing the heir to the Dark Lord."

All I could do was nod. Narcissa came closer as we arrived at the doorstep.

"Goodbye sweet angel," She whispered kissing my daughter's forward.

"This wasn't my choice," I whispered as a few tears fell onto the soft lavender blanket, "I wish I didn't have to let you go. I love you so much, Maya, and I promise to find you. I will come back when its truly safe. Be safe, Maya, I will come back."

I promised all this to my darling girl. Gently, I set her down on the step. From my cloak I pulled an old envelope with a letter to explain everything. Carefully, I tucked it into the end of the blanket before giving her a final kiss goodbye.

"Take care, my sweet child," I cried.

Narcissa took me by my arm once I had straighten up. She looked around the road before apparating us out of the freezing rain. Please, my dear Maya, be safe.

. . . . .

Jean's POV:

I barely slept a wink last night. The storm outside was enough to keep anyone up, and I swear to every god listening that I heard sobbing outside the window. I suppose I really am going crazy.

"Morning Love," My husband, Paul, smiled to me as I entered our sitting room.

"Morning," I responded stealing a kiss before retreating to the front door, "Do you think the papers arrived yet?" I called back.

"Possibly. Little Jack down the road started his paper route today! Adorable if you ask me. A little boy barely, two years old, helping his older sister with the post!" Paul chuckled.

I smiled at the thought. How I desperately wished I had a daughter or even a son! He or she would be old enough to be friends with little Jack! But unfortunately I am not fit to bear children. Paul and I have thought of adopting, but its extremely expensive. Even with our high salaries, its still to much.

Pushing the sad thoughts aside, I focused on my task at the moment. Getting the morning paper.

I quickly unlocked the old door and opened it earning a loud squeak. I really must call a carpenter to fix it—

A scream left my mouth before I could stop myself. Paul was by my side in a second. We both stared down at the doormat where the paper should be. Instead was a bundle of lavender blankets with an envelope sticking out one end, a head out the other.

"Paul?" I gasped bending down and gently lifting the child in my arms.

Paul detached the note and read through it. It fell to the floor when he was finished. He turned to me with tears in his eyes and a happy grin.

"She's ours," he whispered, "This girl, she's ours. But her mother will come get her when the time is right."

"What do you mean?" I asked softly not daring to believe it.

"We have a daughter, Jean," He smiled, "She's ours."

"Does she have a name?" I asked smiling as the girl woke in my arms.

"Hermione," Paul said, "Her name is Hermione."

In that moment as I looked down at the girl, watching her reach up and poke at the small amount if brown curls on her head and noticing how her pale skin contrasted perfectly with the lavender blanket, I couldn't think of a more perfect name.