Chapter 32

"I think it worked," Draco said.

Whispered were breaking out everywhere. Glances at Hermione and Blaise were also casual. It was surprising how fast rumors traveled around Hogwarts. Actually, scratch that, its quite common. They just did it in record time.

"Oh really?" Blaise rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'd assume it worked."

"Blaise Zabini, I swear to Salazar I will kill you!" A screech came.

"Maddie! Hide me," Blaise squealed attempting to duck under the bench.

He wasn't quick enough. The curly haired girl had already stormed up to him, with Marcus in tow. The boy looked upset, but not nearly as livid as Maddie.

"Hey?" Blaise weakly replied, holding out the 'ey' part.

"Don't you 'hey' me! I've just heard from almost twenty different people that you, Blaise Zabini, referred to someone as 'sis'. And Draco, you apparently confirmed this? Explain right now before I hex you," Maddie steamed, fists clenched.

"Um, I found our sister and forgot to tell you?" Blaise said in more of a question.

"You forgot to tell your own siblings?" Maddie exclaimed.

"Maybe you should let him explain a litte more — "

"Shut it, Marcus," Maddie snapped turning back to Blaise. "Well? Who is she?"

"Hermione Granger," Blaise mumbled in fear.

Maddie and Marcus both gaped at him. "The Hermione Granger is our older sister?" Marcus deadpanned.

"That's what he said," Draco commented, taking a bite if his banana bread pudding.

"I'm dealing with you later," Maddie threatened to the boys.

She grabbed Marcus by the neck of his shirt and dragged him off to the Gryffindor table. Blaise and Draco watched as Maddie talked to Hermione for a minute before the three got up and left. 

"I'm scared. What happens if Hermione makes an alliance with Maddie about me forgetting to tell them?" Blaise whispered.

"Then your dead," Draco stated, clapping him in the back. "I'll be sure to say that at your funeral."

"Aren't you an amazing friend?" Blaise voiced with clear sarcasm.

"I really do try," Draco shrugged. 

. . . . .

After classes, Blaise and Draco headed back to the dorms. They were being boys and talking about quidditch the entire way there. Upon entering, they heard a soft sobbing from inside.

"Blaise, shut up!" Draco exclaimed.

"What? Just because I think that the Holyhead Harpies are better than Puddlemire United, does not give you a right time say shut — "

"Shut up! Do you hear that?" Blaise demanded clapsing a hand over the Italian wizard's face.

Blaise was quiet for a moment. He heard it as well. Someone was crying inside. Draco opened the door slowly. Inside was Hermione sitting on a couch. She was holding something in her hands

"Um . . . I have no idea what time do about crying girls," Blaise admitted quietly. "You have more experience. Do something while I find Ginny."

"What? No way. You really trust me not to hex her?" Draco demanded.

"Honestly, no. You might hex her. But I trust you to not hurt her emotionally. You wouldn't let yourself," Blaise smiled before disappearing.

"What . . . the bloody hell," Draco said.

He gulped slightly before stepping inside and closing the door silently. Draco set his bag by the door and went over to her. She didn't look up. Draco sat down next to her, leaving a few inches between them.

"Come to mock me?" Hermione sniffed.

Draco shook his head. In the softest voice he could muster, he spoke. "What's wrong?"

Hermione snorted. "Like you care." She hastily wiped a few tears.

"Maybe not," Draco agreed. If he was being truthful, he had no idea whether he cared or not. Part of him didn't like seeing her hurting, and the other knew he needed to like it.

"Neville spoke to me," Hermione whispered after a long pause if silence. "He gave me this book. A few chapters opened up. Apparently I'll only be able to read what I need to know since I'm part of a prophecy. Everything is instructions, basically."

Draco hummed in response and let her continue. "I'm just . . . so scared. This first page, it says that in order to complete the quest laid out before me, I must suffer a loss as good as my own death."

Hermione was full blown crying now. Tears were running down her cheeks, causing part of her skin to shine. Her hair was slightly tangled and fell freely around her face. Draco couldn't help but stare. He wasn't used to Hermione being so broken looking. It shocked him. And to him, she looked like a goddess sitting there. He was stunned slightly by her beauty.

"A — And all I can think about is that. I'm going to lose someone. Another person is going to die, and this time its going to hurt so much worse," Hermione continued.

Draco sat up slightly and adjusted himself. He casually draped and arm across the back of the couch, waiting. A moment later Hermione leaned back. When she felt his arm she turned so her face was buried into his chest.

"I don't know what to do!" She cried.

Draco slowly rubbed circles on her back. It had always calmed his mother when he did this, so he was hoping it worked for Hermione. "It's going to be okay."

"But its not!" She argued, voice muffled from his shirt, "People are going to die again!"

"And that may happen. But you, Granger, are insanely strong. You will get through this. You're surrounded by amazing people. Blaise, Hunter, Weaslette, Hannah; they all love you dearly. And if it comes to one of them giving their life, they'd do it. And do you know why? Its because they love you. They care for you and want you to be safe. So, no, its not going to be okay. But it will be." He spoke softly and calmly.

Hermione raised her head slightly and looked up at him. She smiled slightly. "Thanks Malfoy," She whispered.

"Anytime."

Hermione leaned up and place a kiss on his cheek. She then lowered her head back down. Draco was insanely lucky that she didn't see his cheeks turn a bright red. Although, Hermione could hear his heart racing.