Chapter 25: Threat

"You're heading out there?" Valt asked. He blinked and stared at Free as he had completely forgotten that the older boy was on the lineup.

"Why? Is that a problem?" Free said with a sigh. His hair fluttered as he turned toward him.

"Nope. We'll be rooting for you," Valt said, giving Free a thumbs-up.

Rantaro then started off nervously, "If we lose the next one, then--"

"Did you say 'lose'?" Free said. He chuckled as if Rantaro and Valt were being ridiculous. "You guys are funny. That's a thought that has never once crossed my mind."

As Free strutted to the stadium, Ferox found her amusement peaking, since it was obvious that Free would win his battle. As irksome as he was, Free de la Hoya was the Golden Boy of Beyblade for a reason. He would not be suddenly taken down by Silas, who Ferox had decimated in a recent battle; things did not work that way.

So Ferox joked, "Seriously, Rantaro? That was an invitation for him to gloat."

Rantaro flushed.

"On to Game 5! BC Sol goes with their captain Free de la Hoya. SunBat United puts out Silas for a second round!" the commenter yelled.

"Finally, I get to battle you," Silas said. He smirked, looking forward to taking on Free. He had been waiting a long time for this. Free was the best blader in the world, so if Silas defeated Free, he would take the top spot that was rightfully his.

"Oh, yeah? At least one of us is excited," Free said. He seemed absent-minded and distant, yet Silas glimpsed his cold facade crumble as Free glanced at Ferox with the devastating look of hopeless love. Indeed, Free was crushing on the top female blader, and he had zero clue how to express his love to her--like an emotional disaster.

Silas smirked. Perhaps Free's current distractability would lend him an advantage. He said provocatively, "They say you're number one in the world, but I'll believe it when I see it."

Free ignored his remark and held his Beyblade in his hand. He carefully positioned it in between his fingers, and he looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else but this Beyblade match.

"Don't just stand there," Silas snapped. "Get your launcher!"

"No, I'm good like this," Free said flatly.

"You don't use one!?" Silas gasped. What in Satomb's arse was going on?!

"That a problem?" Free said, his eyes dead and lifeless.

"What a strategy!" the commenter cried out, while people in the audience whispered. "Talk about hands-on. Silas is totally speechless!"

"Dude, again?" Rantaro sighed, face-palming. Free was not even bothering to try against Silas--and the green-haired boy was a talented blader who had just beaten Valt.

Ferox also disapproved of Free not using a launcher as it made an arrogant, rude statement to SunBat United that he did not think highly of their bladers. His move would not look polite to viewers, but the drama would certainly draw them in. However, it was not like Ferox could tell Free off on recorded footage for his decision.

She pursed her lips, and she said, "Don't worry about it. It's not like we can stop him."

"Bladers, please prepare your launchers," the referee said. He looked at Free pointedly, trying to figure out what the top blader was doing, but Free made no move to change his mind.

"Drop it, ref!" Wakiya said with a snort. "If he wants to lose, then let him be!"

"But the rules!" the referee protested.