Chapter 53: Change

ONE DAY LATER...

"The match from Top Wand gave us a big boost," Trad said. Even though Free and Ferox had misbehaved, the shenanigans had made the team profit, so he was not complaining. "We got interview requests from BBC, New York Times, Elmundo, and other newsgroups. Everyone has their eyes on BC Sol. Free and Ferox are being called the King and Queen of Beyblade."

"Yeah," Christina said, forcing a smile. She was happy about the team's popularity, but it stung being reminded that Free and Ferox were the perfect duo. When Free was younger, he had been shy, kind, and smiling, but as he grew up, he had grown aloof and distant. Theodore was also draining her energy and soul; the number of calls she had received in the past few days left deep bags under her eyes.

"You seem kind of down. Would you care to talk about it?" Trad said, his eyebrows furrowing.

Christina shut her eyes and said, "A lot of things."

"I'm not just a trainer here; I'm your friend," Trad said softly. "You can tell me anything, Chris."

"I confessed to Free," Christina admitted.

"And what did he say?" Trad said, trying to disguise his shock. He had not expected Chris to approach Free about her feelings, which worried him because he was sure that Free would tell Ferox. He did not want the team atmosphere to be awkward, although he cared about Chris and wanted this issue to be resolved.

"'I'm sorry,'" Christina said. "That's all he said."

Trad had to admit that Free's response was cold, although it made sense; the golden-haired boy had to keep his distance, especially since Christina was his childhood friend. "I don't know what to say," Trad confessed, at a loss for words. "I'm sorry, Chris."

"Maybe that's why he said that. I guess he didn't know what to say," Christina said sadly. "I'm the problem. Theodore is already flying around Free and Ferox like a vulture, and I need to focus on keeping them as part of the team, not my personal feelings."

"I understand," Trad said curtly. He did not know what else to say.

CLANK!

Wide-eyed, Trad and Christina watched as Free strode inside the room, with Ferox behind.

"Oh, hi," Christina said, startled and trying to gather her composure.

"We need to talk. Now good?" Free said, the tone in his voice making Christina's heart drop. Was he here for him and Ferox to talk seriously about what happened the other day?

Trad sweat-dropped, feeling intimidated by Free's presence and also Ferox's steely gaze. He said, "If this is a personal issue, should I...?"

"It isn't about that," Ferox interjected. She offered Christina a warm, sympathetic look, telling the pink-haired girl and Trad everything they needed to know. "You haven't done anything wrong, Christina. You must think you are selfish right now, but I heard what happened, and you're not a bad person. I hope you are feeling better."

"You're not mad...?" Christina said, her eyes watering.

"I respect you," Ferox said, causing Christina to smile slightly. "You're kind and visionary. You let Rantaro, Valt, and me on this team, even though it was against your protocol. You see potential where other managers may not see anything. I was shocked when I learned you liked my boyfriend, but you can't control who you fall for, and you have known him longer than me. It's also not like you treated me unfairly because I'm with the guy you love."

It was funny how much better Christina felt after talking to Ferox. Trad had told her that Ferox had comforted him, and now, Ferox had done so for her. Ferox was seriously a gem, a shining diamond for this team. Ferox's blading skills were not as good as Free's, but her words were eloquent and touching.