Chapter 33: Sprints

ONE WEEK LATER...

It was early in the morning, and Ferox was training with Valt. She had managed to wake up her sleepy younger brother by whispering in his ear that Valtryek was having another Great Awakening, even though his Beyblade was not.

Valt had sprung up out of bed and face-planted on the floor.

Ferox had burst out laughing, and after Valt had gotten ready, the two of them had gone outside to practice in the Beyblade stadium. It was approximately 8 AM, and breakfast was served at 8:30 AM, so they had quite a bit of time left still.

"Let's go, Valtryek! Spring-Rush Launch!" Valt yelled, and Valtryek charged toward Tala Zmaj.

"Knock him down, Zmaj!" Ferox said.

Tala Zmaj snapped forward and knocked into Valtryek, which burst.

"Let's go again!" Valt huffed. He reconstructed his Beyblade, as Ferox picked up her Beyblade. "That was awesome!"

Suddenly, Valt's stomach growled loudly.

"Uh, oh," Valt gasped, grabbing his stomach with one of his hands.

"You can get food right now from Ange if you want," Ferox suggested.

Valt squealed, immediately taking off in the direction of the cafeteria.

Ferox sighed, and she turned to look at the column of trees nearby. Her gaze lingered on one particular tree before she raised an eyebrow and said, "Valt would have loved to see you."

Free de la Hoya sheepishly poked his head out from behind a tree. He then moved toward the Beyblade stadium, and he crouched next to Ferox. Free pursed his lips for some time and then admitted, "Would he really have? You and Valt seemed fine just having one another."

Ferox gave Free a careful look, and she disagreed, "Well, it would have been great if you were here. Valt looks up to you, as do I."

Free slightly smiled, and he said appreciatively, "You're always so optimistic."

Ferox's face inexplicably reddened. She had heard people say that before about her, but it hit different when it came from her boyfriend; it sounded marveling rather than cynical. She chuckled, "And you always make me feel shy."

Free said slyly, "Isn't that what a boyfriend is supposed to do?"

Ferox deadpanned, "That's a convenient excuse." She jokingly turned up her nose.

Free corrected, "No, it's a societal observation."

Ferox sighed profusely. She had never wanted to both smack and kiss someone so hard at the same time. Free riled her up so much, and maybe that was why she was so attracted to him. It was difficult not to pay attention to the boy who always took a mickey out of her.

Rantaro and Valt both panted as many bladers lay sprawled on the ground, tired and beat from running. Rantaro said, breathing heavily, "Did we sign up for this?"

Ferox nudged his wasted form with her foot, and she said pointedly, "You did, Honcho."

"How do you deal with this?" Rantaro moaned, his face pressed into the dirt ground.

"Come on, Rantaro. Remember, before I did Beyblade competitively, I did track and field," Ferox said. She stood up tall, ruminating on her memories of her best event: high-jump. Most bladers mistook her for being a former gymnast, but she had strong legs, and they lent well in her jumping ability before she devoted herself completely to Beyblade.