Chapter 10: Determined

"You done mocking me?" Rantaro said, and he conceded, "Nobody likes losing!"

"I'm glad that you agree. No glory in defeat. You've got to win, not just try," Free remarked, shooting Valt a scathing look. Rantaro had changed his mind and thus discredited Valt.

"Hey!" Valt said indignantly.

He dishonors our blading style, Roktavor, Valtryek said sourly.

Zmaj exhaled smoky fire and said, We love blading for the sake of blading.

Forgive my blader, Roktavor said. Beyblade means more than winning!

"You've got some nerve talking to us like this in front of the team. Your arrogance is out of this world. This isn't over! We'll meet again in the stadium soon. I'll get payback. Just you wait!" Rantaro said, his veins bulging as he sensed his Bey spirit's displeasure.

"Anyone else going to take me on?" Free chuckled. He turned to look at the rest of BC Sol's bladers, who all appeared fearful. A few bladers even gulped and backed up, not wishing to be the next prey for the king of the beasts.

"Don't ignore me!" Rantaro said, his lollipop breaking into pieces.

Ferox breathed in deeply and focused on the sensation of her diaphragm expanding. She then exhaled, clearing her mind and visualizing a Beyblade stadium. The Bey spirit Tala Zmaj lurked beside her, and the wolf-dragon's mouth reeked of smoke, which swirled and flowed about the area. Zmaj's heavy, dark fur rustled before her scarlet eyes burrowed into Ferox.

Ready to battle? Zmaj whispered, licking her jaws, crouching, and staring down Fafnir. The Bey spirit shrunk back and watched Ferox and Zmaj cautiously. Valtryek and Roktavor were close behind, but other curious Bey spirits were nearby.

Ferox walked to the opposite side of the stadium. Feeling Zmaj's fierce power slip inside her body, Ferox grinned maniacally, and one of her eyes momentarily gleamed red. She stood up tall and said pointedly, "Me. I'll take you on."

"Yes, Ferox is stepping up to the plate!" Rantaro said, throwing up his fist.

"You're the best, Ferox!" Valt said, and he hopped up and down.

You can do it, Zmaj! Roktavor and Valtryek cried out.

Rantaro said, "If anything, you're the one who'll give him the reality check!"

Ferox rose Tala Zmaj upward, and its long, sharp blades glinted under the artificial lighting. The brown-haired girl said assertively, "Free de la Hoya, I want a serious tournament match on the three-point system. Take out your launcher, and show me your best. You'll need it if you want to beat me. After we battle, you'll respect me as a blader, and you'll understand why, like my younger brother Valt, I blade for the sake of blading itself."

Rantaro wiped a tear off his cheek; he leaned over and whispered to Valt, "I wish that there was a Rantaro Protection Squad."

Trad was about to blow his whistle when Christina held her arm out and stopped him from taking action. "Don't stop her, Trad," Christina said, her light blue eyes sparkling.

"What?" Trad protested. "What are you doing? We can't allow Ferox to take control of our tryouts. This is against what we planned for today."

"We need to see how this plays out," Christina said with a broad smile. "I scouted Ferox because I thought something like this would happen. She's challenged Free just like she challenged Lui! Don't you realize how wonderful this is?"