Chapter 14: Lost

The forest was treacherous, cloaking itself in the shadows of the night so that Ferox barely saw a thing. Only the moonlight and starlight sliced through the trees and scarcely illuminated the way. Indeed, Ferox had no clue where she was, and she shivered and crossed her arms.

Ferox had made the grave mistake of strolling in the forest without telling anyone and not bringing her phone (but there would probably be poor reception anyway). The brown-haired girl did not feel alone because she had her Beyblade Tala Zmaj with her. However, even when Valt, Rantaro, and Kitt would inevitably recognize her absence, it would be too late for the authorities to be called, and a search to be launched.

So Ferox would be stuck in the woods until morning. It was not the most dangerous thing that Ferox had experienced, so she was not seriously worried. The problem was that she had zero camping gear, and she was growing hungry. Her best option would be to climb a tree and keep herself awake until morning. However, Ferox decided that it would not hurt to look around longer in hopes of seeing a sign of civilization.

The female blader sighed and said, "What do you think, Zmaj? Can you detect the spirit projections of Valtryek or Roktavor anywhere?"

I can smell up to 1.5 miles away, and there are no signs of Bey spirits, Zmaj said, sniffing the breeze. But the air is wet and blowing in a direction, so there is much room for error.

"Dammit," Ferox muttered.

She took another cautious step onward. Her shoes squelched, and her socks became soaked with water. Chilly laps of moisture and smooth pebbles pressed against her shoes, and Ferox took a step back, surprised by the still-flowing river.

Her feet felt numb, peculiar, and disgusting, and the sucking sound of her shoes on the pebbles perturbed her. Be careful, Ferox, Zmaj said, its gears shifting.

"Yuck," Ferox said, feeling grossed out. This was obviously the wrong way because she did not remember seeing a river, but it functioned as a good landmark.

BOOM! The storm crackled.

Ferox did not scream--she was too stalwart and seasoned for that--but she gasped, her heart racing faster and faster. She crouched down and pulled her hands over her head to calm her nerves before taking a slow, precarious step backward. However, it was all in vain, and the pebbles skidded under her feet, causing her to slip.

Ferox yelled, but the water drowned her out, and her Beyblade shrieked from inside her pouch. However, the river was merciless and splashed with a simple plunk.

"I will now announce the participants in the upcoming match! We've selected four bladers to represent our team. Free will be the captain. The other three spots were decided based on the results of the tryouts, along with several other factors," Trad said, crossing his arms.

"Hi, quick question!" Django said, raising his hand.

"Yes?" Christina said wearily. "What is it?"

"What exactly were these other factors?" Django asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"That information is confidential," Christina coolly replied.

"Figures," Django said with a sigh.

"Free will be joined by the following bladers," Trad said matter-of-factly. "First up is Valt Aoi."

"Who me?" Valt said with a gasp. "You hear that? I actually made it!"

"Never doubted it for a second!" Rantaro said, ruffling his hair, and Valt laughed.

"And the other one: Rantaro Kiyama," Trad continued.