Chapter 41: Ethereal

A FEW DAYS LATER...

"We're approaching the opening round of the European League!" Trad declared.

"Free, you've been chosen to be team captain," Christina said, and Free did not bother looking at her and slouched by the wall. She continued, "And Ferox, you're the co-captain. That leaves two spots. The selections will be based on performance and results."

Ferox stared at Christina, half-surprised that her position had been already secured. A strange sense of disappointment overcame Ferox as she did not want to wait throughout the selections. She preferred to be more active when it came to battling.

Trad sighed, disagreeing with Christina's decision. If it were up to him, he would have made Ferox captain, while Free would be co-captain. Ferox had a stronger leadership presence and a higher sense of accountability than Free, although the yellow-haired boy had been with BC Sol longer. Trad also felt like Free needed an extra push, yet Christina had insisted on keeping Free as captain as usual and thought it was better that way.

"So it is possible to be taken from the lower team," Rantaro said, exchanging an eager glance with Valt.

"That is correct. A blader's status doesn't matter," Trad said, and chatter flooded through the bladers. He then thought, with a hint of irritation, Except for Free.

"Yeah, top team, here I come!" Valt said, jumping into the air. He tumbled backward, and Ferox took in her breath. She dashed forward and caught her younger brother in her arms. She patted him on the head, and Valt said sheepishly, "You caught me."

"Don't sweat it," Ferox said with a chuckle. "Being your sister is a full-time job."

Valt stuck out his tongue at Free, who returned an empty stare. That's right, Valt thought. I'm a full-time job, while you're part-time, Free!

"Next up, Valt Aoi and Stan Hamburg!" Trad said, blowing sharply into his whistle.

"Looks like it's you and me now," Valt said, feeling excited for the battle to come.

Stan smiled, not knowing why he had ever hated Valt in the first place. He held up his launcher and said with a competitive spirit, "I think you mean that it's just going to be me."

"First battle!" Trad yelled, whipping his hand downward.

"I'm going to eat you for breakfast!" Stan said with a joking tone.

"Then, it's a good thing that it's lunchtime!" Valt replied.

Ferox snickered, realizing that Valt was more crafty than she had thought. She would not have considered countering Stan's remark that way.

"Three, two, one. Let it, rip!"

"Sweet! The center is all mine," Stan said with a proud smile, and his Beyblade slipped into the stadium center. He smirked, already thinking that he had the win in the bag.

Valt cried out in determination, "Go, Valtryek!" Valtryek swooped in with incredible speed, ferociously attacking from all directions. "That's it! Attack from all sides!" Valt said, cheering on his Beyblade and throwing his fists up into the air.

"Well, your Beyblade is fast. I'll give you that, but fast things run out of steam!" Stan said, and sooner or later, Valtryek slowed to a stop, just as he had anticipated.

"Oh, no! He was right!" Valt said with a gasp.

We can still win, Valt. Don't worry, Valtryek said solemnly.

Ferox watched the scene with growing interest. She was not surprised that Valt had lost, although Valtryek was undeniably tougher than Stan's Beyblade. Valtryek carried more potential, but with a locked evolution, Valtryek was at a disadvantage. Yet Ferox believed that Valt could pull through with a victory, and she was not entirely sure how Stan would react.