Chapter 45: Legacy

Meanwhile, at the Raging Bulls, Bilizu and Shu were running together on the treadmills, and seeing their old friends on TV, they absent-mindedly watched.

That was when Ferox kissed Free.

"Unexpected," Bilizu could not resist saying.

She furrowed her eyebrows and stared at the screen with her wintry blue eyes. Ferox had always been bold and aggressive, so it was not surprising to see her pull a stunt like that. However, Bilizu had never imagined Ferox falling for Free de la Hoya or anyone for that matter; as far as Bilizu knew, Ferox had never been interested in romance.

"Yeah..." Shu said, feeling nostalgic. Seeing Ferox reminded him how much he missed her friendship, and he wanted to hear Ferox's silly jokes and see her charming smile again.

"They're an odd pair," Bilizu continued solemnly. "Isn't Free known for being quiet and aloof?"

"He is," Shu agreed.

"Well, they balance each other out. Ferox is a wild one."

Lui Shirosagi growled as he tugged back on his launcher. He watched as Luinor flew into the Beyblade stadium and traveled with frightening speed and power; he huffed, and his feather boa fluttered at his heavy breathing.

He shut his purple eyes and focused on the jarring sound of his Beyblade.

That was when the TV in the training room shifted from an advertisement back to what he was waiting for: the beginning of BC Sol's first match.

Lui observed as Valt, Rantaro, Free, and Ferox headed out on stage. He sighed, wishing that he could tell Ferox from across the world how sorry he was for everything.

He stared at the friendship bracelet hanging on his wrist. It looked ridiculous and had mismatched beads, but it was the only remaining relic of their comradeship. Their broken friendship was all his fault; Lui kept reliving the day when he let his anger and jealousy get the best of him and shoved Ferox to the ground. It was unforgivable, and from time to time, he dreamt of an alternate universe where he ran back and apologized.

Indeed, reality was brutal.

Lui smiled wryly.

Maybe Valt deserved an apology, too, but that was the limit of Lui's pride. Lui also had mixed feelings seeing Free de la Hoya himself beside Ferox. Free was the only blader other than Ferox who had defeated Lui in a battle, and it was difficult seeing them together when Lui had hoped that he and Ferox would do the World League together.

Free was a lucky bastard--that was for sure.

Lui watched as Free registered for the match and walked up the stairs to the stadium. "Pathetic," Lui said, rolling his eyes. "He should have sent Ferox out first."

Then, Ferox ran up the stairs and pulled Free into a deep kiss.

CLANK!

Lui's launcher clattered on the floor, and Lui stared at the screen before wordlessly grabbing the remote and turning the TV off. Witnessing the girl he loved kiss another guy should have made him feel enraged or vengeful, but he just felt empty.

He had pursued Ferox for over a decade with intensity and passion, yet within the few weeks that Ferox had been in Spain, Free had already caught Ferox's heart.

Lui smiled bitterly as he picked up his launcher. He said, wiping the sweat off his forehead, "I'm a fucking joke. What does he have that I don't?"

BONK!