6

Maddie was still sat on the bench while Justin was still on the ground

Maddie was still sat on the bench while Justin was still on the ground. Maddies eyes were slightly closing while they sat there staring at each other making Justin reach into his bag, the sudden movement and sound making Maddies eyes jolt open as she sat forward more than before and then swayed to the side with her mouth slightly twitching on her left side. Maddie stared at him as he grabbed a small energy drink. "Here you go." Justin says standing up out of the grass and sitting beside her to hand her the can. "You need it more than me." Maddie says using the palm of her hand to push the can back to him but he shakes his head. "I'm used to having no sleep, plus I got it for you." He says grabbing her wrist to push the can into it and placed his hand around hers to make it curl around the can then opened it up so she couldn't give it back to him. Maddie sighed and took a sip of it. "Thank you." Maddie says and Justin nods.

"And by the way you mean you stole it for me." Maddie says chuckling for what felt the first time in forever, it make her chest feel lighter and it made Justin smile, that was the line that she said every morning when he would bring her something. "Same thing." Justin says smirking as he took her right hand when she switched which hand held the can. "It's not the same thing because some day I might have to end up bailing you out of jail and then I'll get thrown in jail because I will have to kill you." Maddie says in a joking voice though she was half serious.

"Or you could just leave me in there."

"I could never do that." She whispers squeezing his hand, this time the weight was off Justins chest. He wasn't sure if she would look at him differently due to the tape and he was beyond relived that she wasn't cutting him out of her life though he wasn't sure how long this was going last. "Good. Let's get inside." Justin whispers as he kisses her hand and they stand up as Maddie puts the cassett player in her bag. "Hey when you listen to the tapes make sure you don't do it all at once okay?" He asks taking her hand again when she puts both her bags over and on her shoulder. "Take your time. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with this ontop of everything else." Justins says and it was like he was wrestling with himself to get the right words out, he wasn't sure if he was doing it to protect her or to protect himself. Maddie nods as they keep walking and the bell rings meaning that Justin and Maddie would make it to their second period on time.

When they turn the hall Maddie was almost knocked down by her brother running through the hall. "Jesus there you are, I heard you skipped first." Zach says out of breath so it was obvious to the couple that he had been running the halls in search of his sister. "I had my earbuds in I didn't hear the bell." Maddie shrugs as she throws the can that once held a energy drink into a nearby trashcan. "Mads did you even take your meds today?" Zach asks with a sigh as he was standing next to the girl who shook her head as a sign for 'no.'

"Here." Zach says reaching in his pocket and handing her a small ziplock bag that had four of her everyday pills in it. "I should be off these things by now." Maddie sighs putting the baggie into her jean pocket as she rolled her eyes. "What are they even for?" Justin asks as he had seen her take the small pill a few times in the school when she had forgetten to take it at her house. "Being born an addicit comes with it's perks." Maddie rolls her eyes again.

"The pill makes it to where I can take certain things and do certain things without becoming addicited." She explains what she had been told it was for, though she was wrong, and Justin nods his head as Zach walks away to his next class. "See you third?" Justin asks as he makes it to the doorway of Maddies class and she nods, he kisses her head and lets her walk into the class room and to the back seat that she sat in and plugged in her earbuds as she was ahead of the science class and knew they wouldn't be doing anything besides make-up assignments until Friday.

"Welcome back. So glad you're still listening. Are you having fun?" Hannahs voice sounds into her ears though she could still hear the eco of the outside conversations as she didn't have the volume up all the way in fear that someone around would hear the voice and become curious.

"You must be wondering who's next, and why. Is it you?" Though she knew this was a pre-recorded tape and that the before hand message was not directed at anyone until she started and told who was on it, she couldn't help but feel that Hannahs words were pointed to her.

"What did you do? How did you end up on these tapes? Maybe you did something cruel or maybe you just watched it happen. Maybe you didn't even realize you were being cruel." Once again the words were coming at her like punches to the stomach that made her feel ill, no not ill, ill isn't the right word, guilty, guilty is the word to describe what she is feeling. She must of done something cruel to Hannah to make her feel this was the only way out, Maddie brings her right leg up so it's bent under her body and she contuines to listen.

"Maybe you didn't do anything at all. And maybe you should have. Too late. I think you know excatly what you did and after these tapes you'll never forget." Maddie put her hands to the side of her head as she looked in pain to the few people who cared enough to watch the girl in the back. She couldn't remember what she had done to the girl and she was afriad of what her tape would be but what scared her most was that one line, 'and after these tapes you'll never forget.' This made her nervous the almost anger sounding through her voice mad it sound so much worse and Maddie wasn't even that scared for her own tape she was mostly afraid of what she would have to remember from other peoples tapes.

"I know I won't. Oh, and, uh, by the way I'm still dead." The tape stopped for a second and then with a click started playing again the first word was 'friendship' this word made her heart stop. She wasn't sure whose tape it was but she was afraid it would be hers, they did have a good one, for the time being.

"Friendship. It's complicated. But don't worry. You won't go through it alone. That's not fun. Trust me. I've been there. Now, it won't always be easy. It might even hurt a bit or a bit more than a bit. That depends on you, but fear not. We'll get through this. Step by step, tape by tape. You and me. Together. And don't forget there are others." Maddie was in such deep thought that it made her jump from her seat when hearing the bell. Frazzeled she shoved her books into her bag and set the walkman in the front pocket, as she threw the bag on her back and brought her practice bag over her right shoulder she walked out and jumped once again when met with Justin foley who was waiting for her. "You good?" Justin asks tilting his head to look at her, she nods and blinks a few times, her tiredness had left her but it didn't seem to leave Justin and for that she once again felt it, guilt.

~~~Authors Note~~~
So what are you guys thinking so far? I hope you like it. Should I update twice a week and should the chapters be longer? What kind of stuff do you want to see? Also what drama?

{7.3.18}