10

"You say Hannah and yourself were friends towards the end of your sophomore year?" The prosecution attorney asks standing up facing Maddie before turning to the jury

"You say Hannah and yourself were friends towards the end of your sophomore year?" The prosecution attorney asks standing up facing Maddie before turning to the jury. "Yes." Maddie says and the blonde nods before asking something else. "So why weren't you friends before? Did it have to do with her relationship with Justin Foley?" She asks and Maddie lets her lips part before she speaks. "No, I mean I had issues with it every now and again but that didn't-" Maddie was cut off.

"So it's not true that you threatened Hannah by telling her to stay away from Justin? Then you went on to date him? Causing a rivalry between the two of you?" Maddie shakes her head and then she quickly defends herself. "Of course not. I just said it'd be best to stay away from him, not as a threat I wanted her to stay out of the trouble he would cause for her." Maddie says honestly though the lawyer snorts by quickly continues.

"So you're saying you weren't jealous and insecure due to their relationship? You don't think that you stealing someone she was so keen on being with had a key to do in this, maybe even more than the school?" Dennis quickly objects to Sonya's word but the judge overrules and tells Maddie to answer the question. "At the time Justin and I were still just friends, so no I wasn't jealous nor was I insecure. And I didn't take Justin, they weren't even talking, to my knowledge. And Hannah didn't kill herself because of a boy she killed herself-" Sonya once again over talks Maddie.

"Let's talk about how your's and Hannah's friendship died. Why did it happen?" She asks her eyes gleaming as she stared at the shaking teenage who was beginning to get frustrated. "We got into a fight and I said somethings I wasn't proud of but-"

"You called her a slut, didn't you? Ms. Dempsey?" Maddie looked her mother sitting on a bench with pleading eyes as her hands began to shake. "Ms. Dempsey?" Sonya asks now becoming impatient and Maddie attempts to answer the question. "Yes, I did, but-"

"And did Hannah report this? No. Because she never reported anything to the school. And you called her a slut because she was constantly trying to get together with any guy there was, so how would the school even know who was bullying her and who she was dating? Now how can you try to pen a crime onto a school with hundred of students in the hallways that they have to watch over. They can't just watch one girl and protect her. They have to hope that the students come to them." Sonya says looking to the jury before turning back to Maddie who had wide eyes full of tears as her body began to shake.

"The school's job is-"

"To your knowledge did Hannah ever report any problems she had?" Sonya asks, only this time she didn't get the answer she had expected.

"Can you let me finish a freaking sentence? Please?!" Maddie shouts holding her hands between her thighs trying to get them to stop shaking, being over talked and being talked to like a child brought her back to her childhood, and being in a courthouse really didn't help her stay in her teenage reality.

"Permission to treat the witness as hostile, Your Honor?" Sonya asks looking to the judge who says yes to her request making Sonya walk right up to where Maddie was seated. "Did, or did Hannah not, to your knowledge, ever report an incident to the school?" Sonya asks and Maddie lets her lip quiver as she looks to Sonya. "Ms. Dempsey, you need to answer." The judge says and Maddie shakes her head. "No, to my knowledge she never did." She says in a defeated voice.