8

Maddie sighed as she sat up on her bed rubbing her eyes, she hadn't slept much, and she was sure people would be able to tell

Maddie sighed as she sat up on her bed rubbing her eyes, she hadn't slept much, and she was sure people would be able to tell. She cried a lot last night, not because she was sad, more so because she was confused. Of course she was glad Justin was back, honestly it was the best news she'd heard in awhile but she was hurt that so many people knew and kept it from her, but she was also upset with herself for letting him being here change her back into her old self that she worked to cage away.

But Maddie didn't have much time to dwell on it once morning hit, instead she spent a lot of time in the bathroom washing her face and doing her hair trying to bring the attention away from her eyes that were darker than normal and the redness under them from her tears. Once she was content with the way she looked she walked to Zach's room where the door was already open. She leaned against the door frame watching the brother she oh so admired and looked up to, he was reading Hannah's letter, probably not for the first time this morning. "Zach." Karen said smiling as she turned into the room bringing her teenage daughter into the room as well. Quickly he hid the paper and turned. Mrs. Dempsey smiled at her son, she was immensely proud of him. "You look good." She says nodding looking his suit over. "Very sharp." Maddie compliments with a smile, she knew he was nervous.

"You ready for this?" Karen asks, she wanted this over more than most but she wanted to make sure her children were prepared as well. "Yeah, I'm all ready. Yeah." Zach says nodding his head letting a piece of hair drop into his eyes. Karen smiles at her son, she knew he was nervous just as well as Maddie but if she pushed she was afraid of what he'd say. "You'll do great." She says with a smile. "You're a good boy. The best son a mother could have." Zach looked away slightly and both woman in the room could see his eyes becoming glossy though he tried to act like it wasn't happening. "Don't worry, either of you. It'll be fine." He says with his classic smile as he tries to make both his mom and sister proud and calm. Karen smiles and leaves the room giving her two eldest children some time together since they probably wouldn't see each other most of the day.

"You know, it's okay to be nervous. But just be honest and you'll be fine." Maddie says with a nod and Zach nods before looking at her. "Be honest? About everything?" He asks and Maddie nods to him. "Zach, you have to, about everything. That's the only way we can keep not only ourselves clean but help Hannah, I mean sure everything can be taken both ways but honesty is best, plus you'll be under oath." Maddie reminds him.

Sighing Zach changes the subject to his sister. "Did you see Justin last night?" With a small nod is how she answers her brother's question and he sighs. "Don't be too hard on him, he left because he thought that was best, but you still have a right to be mad." Maddie nods and then quickly hugs her brother making him chuckle and hug her back. "Good luck, do what's best." She says and he nods before they both walk out.

"Don't worry about it. Okay? He'll be back." Sherri says leaning in her chair at Monets across from Clay's. "He's sick as hell. He can't go to the city. He's got no money, no car. Clay I'm on your side, okay?" She asks looking at him as he sighs. "You don't get it." He says leaning forward. "Maddie seen him, she knows, she talked to him. If he doesn't come back she'll hate me and we'll never get the truth out."