16

Maddie stood against the door staring at Courtney with a hard glare waiting for her to speak

Maddie stood against the door staring at Courtney with a hard glare waiting for her to speak. Courtney's face, which a few seconds ago had been angry, was now slack. "You finally got them." Courtney simply says ignoring the question that came from Maddie's lips. "Yeah. So why the hell would you do that to Hannah?" Maddies voice was hard as she spoke, what Courtney had done was wrong and unfair but then again so was what everyone else did. "Don't play that game with me Dempsey." Courtneys snarky voice came back this time slightly more confident even though it still snaked around her brain that if she kept this up Maddie could ruin her social life, and that's really what seemed to matter most to her in this time. "What game?" Maddie asks standing up straighter so her back was off the wall and her arms were crossed. "The dumb game. We both know why you're really here." She spoke head held high proud of herself while Maddies head tilted slightly while her eyes squinted at the shorter girl. The reason she was here was quite simple, she wanted to understand how she could do that to Hannah and not feel bad, everyone else on the tape that she knew of had done awful things and she could at least see times where it messed with them. Courtney shook her head bringing her left hand to clamp around the arm of her purse and her right to hold her left tightly. "You're here because you finally realized that they just keep getting worse, and you finally realized your tape isn't coming for a while." Maddie sucked in a breath while she was speaking, she had thought about that a few times and maybe that was why she had done this, but honestly she could never be sure. "Let's make this quick, because unlike you I like to eat and I have actual things to do to better my life." Courtneys comment had struck a nerve and she had wanted to start a whole new conversation just for that snarky comment, but Courtney kept going with her statement. "I'm not going to tell you what you did, or what anyone else for that matter so just let me go and I won't mention to the principal that this ever happened." Maddie sighed uncrossing her arms and moving away from the now unlocked door and left following after Courtney. She was completely upset with how that had went because now it was wrapping around her brain even more, she must be at the bottom of the list or something, but she refused to let this get to her. She sucked in a calm breath and made her way to the lunch room where she knew the boys and Jessica would be.

"Hey there she is." Monty shouts laughing while pointing towards the girl who was walking slightly behind Courtney and giving her a glare as she turned left and Maddie kept going to her seat next to Justin. "What was that about?" Bryce asks laughing.

"Yeah please tell me you beat the bitches ass, I mean it's about time someone does." Monty says and everyone at the table begins their agreements to the statements about their shared hatred for Courtney. Normally Maddie would be the lead of this conversation, anytime there was a topic about someone who was hated Maddie ran the conversation since she could rant for hours on end without seeming to take a single breath inbetween, she had these conversations about many people, and actually the most popular conversation between the group was Maddies hatred for her freshmen English teacher who gave her, her first B. She was supposed to retired but switched and taught Math for 10th grade and is still in the building, but today she couldn't, she couldn't get her mind off of Courtneys words. While everyone else was keeping the conversation going Maddie picked up her phone and tapped on one of her, many, groupchats.

My Boys<3
(Justin, Zach, Mads.)

Mads:
So can you at least tell me how bad my tape is?

Zach:
Mads plz stop stressing abt this.

Justin:
Yeah babe it's fucking with u and u really need to stop giving it all of ur attention

Mads:
All I'm asking is that you tell me how bad my tape is.
And Justin I'm giving it my attention because this
should not be forgetten.

Justin:
Alright I get that but like it doesn't need to weigh u down so much
and take all of your attention

Zach:
I can't tell you a lot but you are not even close to the worst.

Mads:
Thanks, and fine it won't have all my attention
but they'll have a lot of it until I get through them.

After sending her text she got up from her lunch table and walked away going towards her next class. She felt relieved that she wasn't the worst tape within the set but it still didn't set her mind at ease, and another thing that kept going through her brain that she had to keep pushing out. How is Justin acting as if nothing happened? Maybe it was because he barley did anything wrong and he didn't care about the other people. In all honesty she wasn't so sure if she fully cared about the other peoples wrong doings either, maybe she just wanted to make herself feel as if she wasn't truely the bad guy.

Maddie had gotten her schedule slightly switched around to fit with the advanced writing program her teacher had mentioned and she would start going to them tomorrow, but today her classes would stay the same. She walked into the classroom that was empty other than the teacher writting on the board since she was slightly early and she put in her ear buds ready to listen to the next words of Hannahs past voice.

"Do you remember the oh my dollar Valentine?" Hannahs first few words made Maddies eyebrows scrunch up slightly as she remembered the pink slip of paper that was given out to a student if they had given a dollar, Maddie had to help work on it last year when Hannah got hers. Last year they had run short of people that wanted to help so Courtney had put out a paper around the school for help, to no surprise nobody wanted to help so the dance coach had put them on the duty of helping.

"Those were fun weren't they? You fill out a survey and for just a buck you get the name and number of your one true soulmate." Maddie slightly cringed at Hannahs words, sure it true that's how they advertised it around the school but Maddie never liked the word soulmate. 'Soulmate' implied you were always in love always happy, right? At least that's what Maddie always grew up hearing. Though Maddie thought that being able to have a soulmate was being able to grow with them, and can you ever really grow without some very small fights? It just makes the relationship stronger. But maybe Maddie misunderstood. She wasn't sure. But all she knew was, she had never and probably never would, believe in soulmates.

"And hey all proceeds go to a worthy cause. Cheer and dance camp. The dollar Valentine was a two parter. Describe yourself. And describe what you're looking for in someone else." That always confused Maddie, describe what you're looking for in someone else, can you really describe who and what you want? She never found that fair, once again maybe her brain was just different than everyone elses but she never did that. She knew what she didn't want. And that was a very small list. She refused to be with someone who didn't respect her or her wishes and dreams, and she couldn't be with someone who she was either fighting with all the time or someone who would hurt her. Other than that she figured she'd have to be with other people to figure out what she did and didn't want in a relationship.

"And as I filled mine out I realized I was actually describing a certain someone. You'd think if my answers all described one person, that person would at least apprear in my top five. But no. I didn't match up to the one person who might really have been right." Hannahs voice was strained once again like reliving getting her results were hard for her, and maybe she would understand when she kept going on but Maddie didn't know who she matched up with or who she didn't. Also how could she be so upset about it when her soulmate might not even have gone to our school, did Hannah truly believe whoever she got on the paper was her soulmate? How could anyone have five soulmates? Yet again there was another unanswered question to rack through Maddies mind.

{9.10.18}