7

Maddie sat in class, this time they were supposed to be writing a poem, though she hadn't even started it

Maddie sat in class, this time they were supposed to be writing a poem, though she hadn't even started it. Maddie never slacked off in class, practice, work, or even at home so when she was slacking off in English, her favorite class, it caused confusion though nobody said anything as she had one headphone in and her hair down covering it from being seen.

"See, I can guarantee that one of the reasons you're still listening is that you want to know who are the others? Who else is responsible for my death? Well, you're going to learn soon enough." Maddie slightly shook her head and then stopped the motion not wanting any more attention than what she was already getting. She didn't want to know about the others, she didn't want to know what the others did, not now anyways, she couldn't handle the waiting nor did she think she could handle all of the things put onto the tapes. She was only listening because she wasn't going to have Hannah die an unhonorable death and never know why, she also wanted to know what she did. She still didn't know and she was completely at war with herself for not seeing the signs of someone in obvious need or help.

"And, of course, they're going to learn about you too. If they haven't already." This statement made her stomach turn and she jerked the earbud out of her ear so she couldn't hear the next sentence, she clicked the pause button. She looked beside her with her hair still down covering half her face and then sighed smoothing her hair out. While she sighed she put her head in her hands then smoothed her hair back, Justin had heard her tape, Zach had heard her tape and who knows how many other people. The bell rang and Maddie grabbed her bag but the teacher had called her back, but she still catching the confusion written on Justin and Zachs face as they stood waiting for her. "Yes?" Maddie asks.

"You've never done this sweetheart, what's going on with you? You didn't pick up your pencil all day. Should I call home?" She asks making Maddies eyes jolt open as she wildly shakes her head. "No I'm sorry it won't happen again I just had a rough night." Maddie says hoisting her bag up on her shoulders, she was upset that she was being threated with a call home when there were kids who didn't even bring a pencil and it was an every day occurance. The teacher nods letting her leave and Maddie sighs walking out feeling both Justin and Zach arm wrap around her shoulders. "You didn't do anything? It was english class Mads." Zach says sighing.

"You guys heard my tape. Please tell me what I did." Maddie asks looking at the ground as she spoke in a broken and cracking voice. Justin and Zach both looked at each other, neither of them liked when she was upset, hurt, or sad so to hear her voice sound so forced made their hearts race trying to figure out what to do. "Mads we can't you have to listen to it yourself. We're right here for you though." Zach says and Maddie nods as she takes in a deep breath and smiles. "Alright lets do this." She says refurring to their practice which was called early as they all had competitions coming up or games. Zach and Justin laugh as they look at each other and nod. Both of them grab one of her arms picking up her body, grabbing her legs,making it look as if she was sitting opon their arms, and run her into the gym. The almost soundless gym was soon filled with the laughter of the three teens once they set her down the coachs yelled at the same time. "Dempsey!" Coach Jensen yells making her run to the locker room to change while the coach for the basketball team yelled for the boys. "Dempsey! Foley!" The boys run to their locker room. Sometimes since they all practiced in the gym along with the wrestling team and the cheer squad Maddie and Zach would be confused since they were called by last name but they tried to keep it at bay so they wouldn't get yelled at for messing up.