[3] new guy

Just like yesterday, Bree struts up to me with the hopes of talking about Brandon

"Kendra! What happened to Brandon?"

I open my locker and grab my binder.

"What?"

She rolls her eyes and puts her hands on her hips. "He told me you rejected him."

"Yeah... I did." She stares at me like I'm a piece of gum she stepped on.

"You what?"

"I did. I told him I didn't like him. And also, why did you give him my number? I told you I didn't like him." She purses her lips and drops her hands from her hips.

"Well, I don't know. He begged for it. I felt so bad." I exhale sharply through my nose.

"At least it's over. It was so awkward, you don't even know."

Bree smiles. "You're right."

I'm not really sure how to take that. Does she mean she never had to reject someone, or she never knew someone who liked her? I don't know.

I grip my binder and hold it across my chest like it's protecting me. It's also partially to cover me, because I'm wearing the halter top I chose last night.

"Bye, Bree. I'll see you in Spanish." She waves.

"Oh Kendra. I need to tell you something."

"Whats that?" I turn on my heel and walk towards her again.

She smiles and lowers my binder so my top is visible. "You look good today." I smile nervously and hug the binder again. "Thanks" I say, before turning around and sprinting to social studies.
      __________

You look good today. What she said keeps echoing inside my head. Was she flirting? Was she just giving me a compliment?

What if she likes me?

No. That's a stupid thought. She's not gay.

At least she's never told me. She's had lots of boyfriends, but nothing was ever serious. Maybe she is, then. I have no problem with that, but if she likes me, then there might be a problem. I like guys. I've had crushes before. I've never been in a relationship, though. I don't even like her in that way.

Shut up. You're thinking into things too much.

I seriously need to stop talking to myself. Maybe I could use a therapy session with mom.

The bell rings, and I make my way to Spanish.