[23] you're doing perfect

I stare at my reflection, putting on a little mascara

I stare at my reflection, putting on a little mascara. It's Saturday. Archer and I are going to the coffee shop.

And the bookstore!

I know it's not really like the first date I imagined. First dates aren't usually in the morning. And they're not usually to the little coffee shop on Westward Street.

But hey, I'll take what I can get.

I'm not wearing anything too fancy, just a casual little sky blue dress and white Converse. I'm wearing a little makeup, but not much. Just the basics.

I smile at myself and walk out of the bathroom.

Mom sees me from the kitchen and almost runs out.

"You look so cute!" She exclaims. I smile.

"Thanks."

"When is he coming?" She asks, glancing out the window. I grin.

"In a bit. Eleven, I think." I say, looking at the time on my phone. "It's 10:49 right now." She nods and gives me a supportive smile.

"I can't wait to meet him!" She gushes. I sigh, but her enthusiasm is contagious.

"Mom, you've met him already, remember? At the pizza place." I say, but she waves my comment away.

"No, that doesn't count!" She shakes her head and I raise my eyebrow, laughing.

"Whatever you say. Mom, when he comes, promise me you won't whip out the baby albums." I say, sitting on the couch. She smiles.

"Aw. What are we going to talk about, then?"

"Mom!" I laugh. "Do I have to lock those albums up?" She thinks about it.

"I think you might. Oh, he's here! Oh, never mind. Just a passing car." I sigh.

"You're more exited about this than I am!" I laugh, shaking my head. Mom nods and smiles.

"I'm so proud of you, sweetie." She says.

"What do you mean?" I ask, checking my phone. It's 10:53.

"You're so grown up. Your first boyfriend! I had my first boyfriend in middle school. My parents didn't even know." She sighs wistfully.    

"Oh, Gregory. What a nice guy." I wrinkle my nose.

"Well then." I laugh. I glance out the window, my heart racing. Then my eyebrows shoot up.

"I forgot to brush my teeth!" I laugh nervously, running up the stairs on all fours.   

Don't judge me.

Mom laughs from downstairs. "How could you forget that?"

When I finish, I go back downstairs.