[30] ben & jerry's

I'll tell you one thing

My Saturday morning was full of Ben and Jerry's Red Velvet ice cream.

No regrets. I sat on my bed with the bucket and watched reruns of Friends for five hours, which wasn't my best idea because, well, you know. I ate the whole bucket of ice cream. I stared at the ceiling. I kept my binder next to my bed when my mom came in so it looked like I was doing my homework. She kept asking me if I was okay. I kept telling her I was fine.

No mom, I'm not.

Not at all.

He broke up with me.

I am single.

I have no friends.

Just those thoughts cloud my vision and I take a deep breath and fall back on my bed, wishing the ice cream would have lasted a little longer. A tear slips down my cheek and I don't bother to wipe it.

You still have Archer, a nagging voice speaks in my mind. Tears clouds my eyes and I shake my head at myself. Because I don't have him. I don't and I never will again.

I'm confused. I have been for hours.

Just friends. Friends. Friends. I need to study those words and get them right because I'm going to have to know them forever. We're now just friends and we will be forever or until the rest of high school because then we'll go to different colleges and we'll never see each other again and-

A knock breaks me out of my thoughts.

"Kendra?" Says my mom's gentle voice. "Can I come in?"

I press my palms to my eyes for a few seconds before looking up and mumbling "come in" as normally as possible.

I pull my binder onto my lap just as the door opens. This is the third time she's come in. I don't even know how long I've been sitting here. She smiles and my bed dips as she sits.

"How's homework going?" She asks, nodding her head towards my binder.

I look down and for the first time I notice my binder is upside down with the papers spilling out.

I bite my lip. "It's fine, I guess."

She just sighs, the beginning of a small smile touching her lips. "Okay, I guess I'll go out to get some dinner. Any requests?"

"Takis," I say almost instantly. "And a bucket of Ben and Jerry's...Cherry Garcia." She laughs and gets up.

Her hand is on the doorknob as she turns around and then it's almost like she's looking right through me.

"I know how breakups are," She smiles sadly. "I'm here if you need me."

And then she's gone, and I'm staring at the door, dumbfounded as I process the words she just spoke.
                              ___________

My Sunday, so far, has been full of random passive aggressive fits, worrying, wondering, dreading, and stalking Zayn Malik on Snapchat because I was tired of dreading tomorrow, the first day I'll see my newly exed ex-boyfriend.

Yippee!