Chapter 10- The Long and Short weapons

I slowly opened up my eyes to the sound of someone mumbling, just to see all of them surrounded me with a worried look.

"Sumire..you're..awake...!"Yona immediately hugged me with tears in her eyes. I had made them worried... "Sorry.."I apologized. "Why are you apologizing?"Hak asked,"It's not your fault that you've fainted." "I've.....what?" Was that all..a dream?

"Sumire, you fainted yesterday."Yoon said,kneeling beside me,"Luckily Zeno passed by and saw you. He's the one who carried you all the way here." I looked at Zeno and saw him smiling at me, he muttered 'sorry for what happened yesterday' words.

I then looked at Ik-soo, who was looking at me. I couldn't see his eyes since he covered his eyes with his hair. "Sumire dear, you're not hurt anywhere, are you?"Jae-ha asked. I shook my head. The squirrel that was on Shin-ah's shoulder jumped onto my head, as if it was comforting me.

As I tried to get up, a dagger flew pass me as it cut a little bit of my hair. The dagger stopped flying once it hit the wall. "Hak! What the hell was that for?!"Jae-ha shouted at him. "I heard that your fighting skill are as skilled as mine."Hak said.

"Are you saying you want to duel with her just to see who's the strongest?!"Yoon yelled at him. "Oh. You figured it out." "Hak, she just-" I cut Yoon of,"Sure. Since I'm all better already."

"But-" "Thanks for your concern,Yona. But I'm fine."

_____________________

Hak was standing on one side while I'm standing opposite him. The others were watching us from under the roof. We were using a bamboo stick as a spear, its bamboo is as hard as a turtle shell that it can make one person go unconscious or immediately die if it hits the right spot. But mine was shorter than Hak.

"Why are you using a short spear?"Hak wondered. "Short is deadlier."I said. "Long is stronger. And I won't hold back."

________

[Third's Pov]

"Lady and gentleman."The green dragon stepped between them,"BEGIN."

And they were off. The others shield back as Hak,all youth and lean muscle, leapt catlike from his position, waving the spear in figure eight multiple times before touching down on the ground again.

Sumire narrowed her eyes. This time, she made sure to make eye contact. For a brief moment, she could see uncertainty in Hak's eyes. He felt grateful for the advantage.

Advancing. Advancing. Hak charged at her with the spear upheld, going to his foreswing and following it with a backswing. Sumire dodged the first and met the second with her spear. The strength that Sumire put in sent Hak's spear back, back, back....but not far enough to knock it from his hands.

Striking. This arcing shot the fabric of Sumire's cloth at the midsection as she tried to get closer to him, it missed the flesh behind it by perhaps a centimeter.

Hak staggered. Sumire swung. Her spear missed, though not close enough to eat fabric. Hak managed a smirk, this time at the spryness of his dodge. Sumire had to admit it was impressive.

Long spear are perhaps the best weapon for all-around use, both offensive and defensive, but do present certain limitation due to their length. They're harder to use in very up close situations.

A short spear is good for cutting and thrusting, giving more possibility of effective cuts. Also, a short spear generally weighs less than a long spear. It is also better when fighting in confined spaces, being more easily wielded for both thrusting and swinging.

Blows were exchanged as they fell into the rhythms of their training. It wasn't until Hak suddenly struck, strengthened the spear he had palmed in his last tumble across the floor over Sumire's forehead, that she staggered.

Blood ran from the gash in her skull as she tried to put distance between them, her disorientation evident. She ran towards Hak, leaving only a little distant between them, making Hak swung his spear a lot harder than it is.

Seeing the vulnerability, Hak refused to give her time to breath, plunging forward with a combination of strikes that found their mark.

The fight was getting more and more aggressive as the others watched them in fear. Even the dragon warriors couldn't keep up with their movement.

Swing. Swing. Swing. Sumire missed the first two badly, but the third, she managed to get close to Hak, a backswing off the one before found flesh. The short spear ate through Hak's as easily as air.

Everyone grasp to see the sight of Hak has been defeated. His bamboo spear broke in half.

"Short is more powerful than long."She grasp for air,"Long is indeed powerful for long distant, however, it is useless up close."

She then dropped to the floor for air. Yoon immediately ran to her side to give her a drink. Hak just stand there, too shock to move from what had happened.

[Hak's Pov]

I looked at her. Her movement is hard to predict sometime and her fighting skill is incredible. Where did she learn it from? Asahi? Impossible. He's not the violent type.

But.. Is it my imagination that her eyes turned red before she broke my spear in half? Just...who is she?

Extra

As Sumire tried to get up, a dagger flew pass her as it cut a little bit of her hair. The dagger stopped flying once it hit the wall. 'What the...what did I do to make him mad?' Sumire thought.

'What..? Why did Hak...Is he...going to be like Soo-Won..?' Yona cried. "Yona? Why are you crying?"Hak ran over to her. "Are you going to betray us like Soo-won did?" "I..uh....."Hak loss for words.

"Hak! What the hell was that for?!"Jae-ha shouted at him.

______________

I'm sorry if the fighting scene is hard to understand....