1. The fire

A FEW YEARS AGO

"Can you tell me a story?" Silver's sweet voice sounds tired. Peter smiles at his daughter, "Of course. What kind of story?"

He brushes her hair out of her face and watches his daughter close her eyes. "Just a story." He chuckles at her answer.

"Alright, there once was this princess, her name was Golden. She was the prettiest and sweetest girl in the world. And her father was obviously handsome too." He shrugs, making his daughter laugh.

"The princess met a boy, but the king, Golden's father, didn't like him. The princess was-" He stops when he sees that Silver is already asleep. He smiles and kisses her forehead. "Good night princess." He stands up and watches her for a second. He never thought he could love a person so much.

"Uncle Peter?" He sees Laura frown at him, "Do you know where Derek is? I can't find him." He shakes his head, "I haven't seen him." She nods and walks away.

He walks out of the room and closes the door softly behind him. He is about to walk away when he hears a scream from their kitchen. He frowns and rushes down the stairs.

Then it hits him, the scent of smoke. Screams of his family members ring his ears. He quickly turns around and runs towards his daughter's room. Silver is already awake. "What's happening daddy?" She asks him when he pulls her in her arms.

He leads her to the open window, "You need to jump." He tells her. He can smell the fire come closer to her room and soon the door burns down. Silver lets out a panicked scream. "Silver, jump!" He tells her. "Is that safe?" 

"It's safer than in here. Go, I'll follow you." He tells her.

She climbs out of the window, takes a deep breath and jumps. When she lands she can hear her father's scream. "Daddy?" She wants to walk towards her house, but someone stops her. A deputy leads her away.

"No! Let me go! My dad's in there!" She screams but calms down when two familiar arms wrap around her. She turns around and sees her older cousin Derek. He wipes away a tear on his cheek and gives her a fake smile. "It'll be okay." He tells her, but they both don't believe it.

"Derek! Silver!" Laura runs towards them and pulls them in a hug. "You're okay, you're both okay." Silver nods, tears leaving her eyes as she watches her home burn down. The screams of her family members, of her father keep playing in her head. She chokes on a sob and buries her face in Derek's chest.

--

Silver is sitting in the waiting room staring at the wall. "Are you okay?" A voice says, she looks up and sees a boy her age sits next to her. He's wearing a red hoodie and his hair is lying flat against his forehead.

"No." She simply says and bites on her cheek. "Oh." The boy says. "Me neither." They both stay silent until a nurse with long dark hair walks towards them.

She gives the boy a soft smile before sitting next to Silver. "How are you feeling?" The nurse, her name tag says Melissa, asks her. "How is my dad?" Silver ignores the question and looks at the nurse without emotion. She was tired of feeling emotions.

Melissa frowns, "He's in a coma, were afraid that he won't wake up." Silver gasps and feels her body fall from the chair onto the ground. "Your oldest cousin, Laura, is going to take care of you."

"I don't want her to take care of me, I want to see my dad." Silver closes her eyes when she feels like she's losing control. Her claws pierce into her skin. "I don't think that should be your last memory of him." Melissa tell her.

Silver hears heels click against the floor and soon two arms help her up, Laura sighs and pulls the now crying child in a hug.

--

New York, Silver always dreamed of visiting New York with her father, they would always talk about what they would do. Silver always wanted to see a Broadway show since she loved musicals.

A gentle hand grabs hers, she looks up and sees Derek. "It'll be okay Silly, I promise." Silver rips her hand out of his and storms into their new apartment. "Don't call me that."