18. Frenemy

--

--

"Happy birthday, Silver." Laura smiles when she opens the door to my room. 

"Go away." I tell her and hide underneath my covers, hoping she'll listen to me. She sighs, "You'll have to get out of your room, Sil. School is starting in a few days and you haven't left this apartment since we got here.

"I don't wanna go, now please leave me alone."

"She needs time, Laura." Derek tells her, "Just like I did." His voice sounds empty and emotionless instead of his usual happy voice. The goofy smile he used to give Silver hasn't appeared in months. Not since the fire.

"I gave her time, I can't give her more time, Derek. People are going to notice."

"I don't care what people will think." I speak up and remove the covers so I can look at them. "Is it really that weird to be sad after you just heard your family scream in pain? I saw my father, right before he went up in flames. It's a miracle he's still alive, but he will never wake up. I just loft my family, if people think it's weird that I'm mourning than they can screw themselves."

"Hey, language." Laure scolds me before sitting down at the end of the bed. Derek hesitates but walks into my room too, siting down on a chair pushed in the corner.

"You didn't lose all of your family, we're still here, Derek and I. We're not going anywhere, we'll always be here. We needed time too, and I understand some need more than others, but don't push us away when we want to help you. In a few weeks school will start, for both you and Derek. You'll have to get used to the city first, all the different scents and heartbeats."

I sigh and sit up, "I wish we stayed in Beacon Hills, I want to see my dad."

Laura looks at Derek, who sighs too. "I've got this." She nods and leaves us alone. He gets up and sits down next to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me in a hug. "Going here was good for us, if we stayed there... we'd be able to smell their scents all over Beacon Hills, we'll be reminded everyday, and people would give us looks. I know you want to see your dad, I want to see him too, but we can't. The way he looks now... it's traumatizing."

I wrap my arms around my cousin, "Don't ever leave me. Promise me." 

He kisses my forehead, "I won't. Ever. I promise."

--

"Hey? You okay?" I look up and see Stiles worriedly looking at me. I sigh, "Yeah, I'm fine. I just remembered something."

"Anything important about the kanima?" He asks and I shake my head, "No, nothing about the kanima." I look around, "Why did you ask me to meet you here?"

"We got Jackson, he's in that police car over there." He points at it as we walk closer. Scott awkwardly waves at us. "You kidnapped him?" I ask him surprised.