4. Pack Mentality

I sigh and walk out of my dad's room at the hospital. I start walking out of the hospital when I bump into someone. "Oh, I'm sorry." I say and look up. Scott. "Oh, it's you." I sigh and walk away.

"Silver, wait!" He grabs my wrist. "I'm sorry for last week." He tells me. I scoff, "Whatever." He lets go of my wrist and I walk away to the car, Derek finally let me borrow it. 

When I arrive at our house, well, what's left of it, and park the car behind it. I walk inside and see Derek reading a book. "Hey, where were you?" He asks me. 

"Visiting my dad." I tell him and sight. I hear another car stop in front of the house. Derek looks at me, "Upstairs, now." I nod and quickly run upstairs, Derek behind me. We end up in my old room.

"It looks pretty deserted, dispatch. Did you want me to take a look inside?" I hear a deputy say. "Unit 16, it's county property. Order's to make sure it's vacant." Someone else answers him. 

"I don't... I don't think anyone's home."

"For the love of God, 16, go inside and see is anyone's there." I can feel my heart beating loudly. I look at Derek and see that he's glaring at something outside the window. I hear a bark, so it's probably the deputy's dog. The dog starts barking louder, making the deputy even more scared. I soon hear the car drive away.

I let out a sigh and sit down on my old bed. I soon hear another heartbeat, Scott. "Can't they leave us alone." 

"I know you can hear me." Scott says. "I need your help." Derek rolls his eyes and walks downstairs. I follow him and we walk towards the door. Scott looks at me when I close the door behind us. 

"Okay, I know I was part of you getting arrested and that we basically announced you here to the hunters. I also don't know what happened to your sister. But I think I did something last night." Scott says to Derek.  "I had a dream about someone, but someone else got hurt. And it turns out that part of the dream might have actually happened." 

"You think you attacked the driver?" I ask Scott. "Did you see what I did last night?" Scott asks us. "No." Derek answers. "Can you at least tell me the truth? Am I gonna hurt someone?" 

"Yes."

"Could I kill someone?"  

"Yes."

"Am I gonna kill someone?" 

"Probably." 

Scott takes a deep breath and leans against the house. "Look, I can show you how to remember. I can show you how to control the shift, even on a full moon. But it's not gonna come for free." Derek tells him. 

"What do you want?" Scott asks. 

"You'll find out. But for now, I'm gonna give you what you want. Go back to the bus. Go inside, see it, feel it. Let your senses, your sight, smell, touch, let them remember for you." 

"That's it? Just go back?" 

"Do you want to know what happened?" I ask Scott and cross my arms. "I just want to know if I hurt him."

"No, you don't." Derek says. "You want to know if you'll hurt her." Derek says, referring to Allison. 

--

"I'm not even allowed to be outside." I roll my eyes when I sit in Derek's car. "Who cares about the curfew." Derek says to me and pulls towards the gas station. We get out, I look around. A car stops in front of us, and another behind us. I freeze when I see Allison's father, Chris. I take a step backwards, closer to Derek. He grabs my wrist, making me calm down a little. Other hunters circle around us.

"Nice ride." Chris speaks up. "Black cars, though. Very hard to keep clean. I would definitely suggest a little more maintenance. If you have something this nice, you want to take care of it, right?" He starts cleaning the car, Derek and I both stay silent. 

"Personally, I'm very protective of the things I love. That's something I learned from my family. You don't have much of that these days. Do you?" Derek's grip around my wrist tightens and he pulls me even closer to him. 

Chris looks at it and nods, "There we go. You can actually look through your windshield now. See how that makes everything so much clearer?" Chris starts walking away. "You forgot to check the oil." I speak up, making Derek glare at me. Chris turns around and smirks, "Check the oil." He says to his minions. One of them smashes a car window, "Looks good to me." 

"Drive safely." Chris says before getting into his car. The cars drive away and Derek let's go of my wrist. 

--

I'm about to go to sleep when I hear the front door open. Derek and I look at each other. "Derek! Silver! I know you're here! I know what you did!" Scott growls. Derek gives me a 'stay here' look. "I didn't do anything." Derek says. 

"You killed him!" 

"He died." 

"Like your sister died?"

"My sister was missing. We came here looking for her."

"You found her." 

"I found her in pieces." Derek says louder. "Being used as bait to catch us." 

"I think you killed them both. I'm gonna tell everyone, starting with the sheriff." Scott says and finishes walking up the stairs. When he isn't looking, Derek pushes him down the stairs. Scott turns around, his eyes turning yellow and he roars. Derek jumps down the stairs and they start fighting. I wince every time I hear something crash, I know that if I go downstairs Derek will kill me. 

"I didn't kill him." I hear Derek say after a while. "Neither of us did. It's not your fault, not Silver's, not mine." 

"This? This is all your fault!" Scott yells at him. "You ruined my life!" 

"No, I didn't." 

"You're the one who bit me!" 

"No, I'm not."

"What?" 

I jump down the stairs, knowing that it's safe. "He's not the one that bit you, neither am I." I speak up. Scott looks like he remembers something and sits down on the couch, "There's another."

"It's called an Alpha. It's the most dangerous of our kind. You, Derek and I, we're Betas. This thing is more powerful, more animal than us." I tell him. Derek continues, "My sister came here looking for him. Now I'm trying to find him. But I don't think I can do it without you." He looks at both me and Scott. 

"Why me?" Scott asks. "Because he's the one that bit you. You're part of his pack. It's you, Scott. You're the one he wants."