ChapterFour: Finding Light

Maeve has always been scared of the darkness. 

Darkness helds in the monsters of their world. That was where the beasts lurked in. In every story about darkness there is always light. A person who is searching for light.

Or at least that was what Maeve has always thought. No longer was she unconscious as she had woken up few days earlier. No one had came in to bring her food or water. No one came in to check if she was breathing.

Maeve was all alone.

The mice that had held her company were all dead or too scared to come out from their hiding places. The King send a giant cat to kill them.

She did not have anyone anymore. Not even light. The sun disappeared as well.

"When it rains, come to seek my hand. When it shines, you are not alone. When it is dark, they come for you."

Maeve remembered a song that her mother had used to sing to her and her siblings when they were little. Although she was not able to remember how it ended. Maeve shook her head lightly and looked at her bare feet. 

It was freezing.

"What are you to him?" A voice hissed as Maeve startled. There was no one in the cell except for her. "Hello?" She whispered and tried to look through the darkness.  The voice held raspiness. 

No one answered. It had just been her own imagination.

A hand touched her already tender throat. "Do not act like you do not know what I mean." The voice hissed. 

"I.-" The owner of the voice put a blade to her throat. "Tell me what he is to you." Maeve did not answer. The voice was talking about the king. The person pushed the blade closer to her skin. "N-nothing. I am nothing." 

The voice gasped. 

"Nay, you are lying. If you were only nothing your lungs and heart would not be working anymore."

"Plaything. I am his p-plaything." Someone had said that. Her memory was too hazy to make out the details. 

"Nay."

 Maeve whimpered as she felt the blade dig deeper into her skin. The voice murmured words that Maeve was not able to understand. For a second the voice was quiet.

And then the knife sliced Maeve's throat open.

The only thing in the cell was the human lying on the ground unconscious.

***

Once more darkness surrounded her.

"Maevey?" A young girls voice asked. A cold arm touched Maeve's shoulder. "You need to open your eyes for me."

She sounded familiar. Almost too familiar. 

Maeve's eyes shot open. "Sophie?" She screamed.

Her older sister who had unfortunately died at a very young age. Plague took her before her time leaving her family mourn. Alison was never the same after her daughter's death.

"Sophie?"

"I'm right behind you Maevey."

Maeve turned around. Her eyes widened as she saw her once beautiful sister as a corpse. Her beautiful blond hair was muddy and her scalp half bald. The eyes, that Maeve had always envied, were no longer blue. Her skin was rotten. Her beauty was long gone.

"What happened to you?" It looked more than painful. Maeve could not comprehend what she was seeing. The creature in front of her was not her sister.

Sophie gave a sad smile. "I am dead."