ChapterTwentyThree: Defending Tommy

"What the fuck is that?"

Maeve froze. At first, she didn't even know someone was at the door but when she heard his voice it sends chills down her spine. The possessiveness that she heard on his voice was something she had never heard before. It felt like he would throw Tommy out of the window in the next few seconds. Of course, Maeve would throw herself from the window before losing another friend. She will always miss Cory but she can't and won't lose her mouse friend.

It felt like even Tommy froze, too. She wouldn't be surprised if he would have run away if she wasn't holding her.

"My f-friend." She whispered. Actually, she wanted to scream that into his face but that wouldn't end well for her and for Tommy. They would be both lying on the ground with broken necks. The king had a very short temper and no one should go against it.

"A gnawer? You should throw that thing to the cat's."

"Never." Maeve put Tommy closer to her chest and tried to calm him down. It was obvious that even though Tommy is a mouse he could sense danger in the room. Few weeks backward they saw each other when The King and Cato were trying to snap poor little Tommy's neck. She was able to save him then and hopefully, she can do it again.

"W-would you throw your f-frie..... Oh .....never mind," She forgot who she is talking to. He is a monster who executed his own cousin and if you believe in the rumors he has killed many more blood relatives. Maybe she should ask why he killed Caspian? Was it because he fed her properly and didn't let her starve with a piece of a molten bread? She turned to look straight into his eyes and decided that maybe it wasn't the best time for that.

He took a few steps forward and in a return, Maeve took few steps back. Her back was almost touching the wall. There was something in his aura that made Maeve feel like she should run to the hills. Unlucky for her that there was an angry alpha male blocking the exit.

"Give him to me."

Tommy froze in Maeve's hands and looked straight into her eyes. He was scared like he could understand what Dominic is saying. He didn't want to die, he was too young to die.

Maeve shook her head. Her mouth was as dry as a desert and even if she wanted to say something her body would betray her.

The last time he was in the same room as the mouse Tommy would have probably died if something urgent wouldn't have appeared in that moment. He wanted the mouse dead, you could see it in his eyes. How could someone hate an innocent mouse? He has done nothing to The King.

"I won't let you ki-kill him," She whispered. "If y-you throw Tommy to the cat's I'll t-throw myself to t-the wolves." Maeve is sure that the rogues that once tried to eat her wouldn't mind a little night snack. She stroked Tommy's torso and put her hand, in which the mouse was, in front of her small frame. Straight under Dominic's burning gaze.

"H-his name is Tommy," She wanted to hit her self with a wooden stick for allowing herself to be afraid of him. "I m-met him in the c-cell," She continued. "I split m-my food with him."

"I don't want to hear his life story," The King snarled. That little flea nest should be lying on a cat's feeding cup and not lay in the hands of his woman.

Maeve startled at his voice, but she didn't give up. "M-my best friend ran screaming away from him," Keep going, Maeve you can do this, "You a-almost snapped his neck with Cato." Her hands trembled so much that she was afraid that Tommy will fall to the ground and hurt himself. You need to calm down he will not hurt you. "He disappeared f-for last week and I cried after him, t-thinking about the worst. He was t-there when I needed someone to hug." She took one deep breath before finishing her story, "Everyone calls h-him with disgusting words acting like he doesn't own a soul. E-everyone glares at him all the time and t-try to squish him under their b-boots like he doesn't feel anything. Everyone want's him dead a-and don't even bother to grieve because he isn't l-like them. He is like me."