Chapter 17- Silence

Chapter 17

Silence

Disclaimer: I do not own Fairy Tail or its characters, only my own OC's and Ideas

.:+:.

She felt cold and hot all at once, her body shaking without her consent. Her head was in a haze and her eyelids felt heavier than she could ever remember them being. She shuddered involuntarily, her breath catching in her throat as she coughed faintly.

The room was dim around her, and stagnant. She could scarcely see the ceiling above her, if not for the small, faint sliver of light that managed to make it past the edge of the curtains. She didn't remember falling asleep, but she knew she had. She'd been moving in and out of wakefulness for hours, flitting between feverish reality and swirling, nonsensical dreams.

She felt something squeeze around her fingers gently, her eyes trailing sideways from the roof toward that young little boy at the bedside.

Brother....

He was fast asleep, his head resting in his crossed arms on the bedtop- one hand extended just slightly so he could keep holding her hand in his. His fingers twined between hers and limp in his sleeping, yet they still kept locked together.

She blinked, her eyes falling halfway as the haze lifted just enough- she remembered waking up earlier too, and remembered hearing his voice mixed with that of their parents.

"..b-but... I wanna help..."

".... Love, the only thing we can do is let her sleep."

"... Once she rests, the fever will pass and she will be alright.."

".... I...."

"..hmm, I know you want to help her feel better, love....." That was her mother's voice, she sounded sympathetic, and warm.

".... You know what? Sit with her, keep her company. I'm sure that will help her feel better." And that was her Father, a bit louder, but no less warm. 

"..y-yeah!" Her brother sounded a little happier with that, he liked that idea- mostly because then, he would be doing something. "... I-i can tell her a story, if she wants...! Or just stick around, so she's not all alone when she's sleeping..!"

"Great idea." Mother and Father said all in unison.

Her mind was slipping back into the deep, dark depths again as she heard feet move down the hallway outside the door.

She must have fallen asleep before he made it inside, but he'd stayed anyway...

She squeezed his hand back faintly, sighing as her eyes fell closed again.

It felt nice, his hand in hers, after so, so long.....

She coughed again, her eyes snapping shut when a sudden wash of pain ignited in her core where it hadn't been seconds before.

Her hand held tight to his hand- only to find it wasn't there anymore. He wasn't, none of it was- not the bed, not the room, not the warmth nor the familiarity.

She was floating in a chilly sea, the water gripping and cold as she saw her blood stain the water darker around her- her stomach a gaping hole and agony racing though every inch of her being. The silence was crushing, even her own voice as she yelled at the pain was muffled and muted and silent on her own ears. She couldn't make a sound,