Ten

-Renee's pov

From Monty
- I'm outside.

A quiet sigh of relief escaped my lips as I read Monty's text.

I had spent the last ten minutes anxiously pacing back and forth through my bed room, worrying about what had happened to him.

I quickly threw on one of Mitch's oversized hoodies that I kept in my room before quietly, but swiftly hurrying down the stairs.

I waisted no time in trying to unlatch the front door, as silently as I could.

"Hey." My quiet voice whispered as I opened the door; revealing a tall dark figure standing in front of me.

"Uh, hey." Monty's voice sounded drained and tired as he spoke at barely a mutter.

I gently gripped onto his large hand as I pulled him inside the house, and guided him up towards my room; him shutting the door behind me.

Neither of us made a sound, although my body became slightly alarmed at how much Monty's hands were shaking.

Once we had successfully made it to my room, I shut the door slowly before walking over to my bed, Monty following behind me.

I switched on the small lamp beside my bed, creating a dim yellow light throughout the room.

My heart stopped at the sight that appeared in front of me.

My lips quivered as I tried not to let a loud sob escape my mouth as my eyes examined the boy in front of me.

He looked..broken.

Monty's avoided eye contact with me as I stared at him in pure horror.

"It's bad huh?" He shrugged casually.

The bruise that used to be spread across his right eye was now more evident and dark in colour than it ever had been.

The end of his nose was covered in dried blood, that had dropped down to the top of his upper lip.

His usual colourful, bright face was now pale and dull in colour. His perfect brown eyes, were dark and filled with tears.

"Oh my god, what happened to you?" I whispered as my finger gently stroked across the large bruise on the side of his face.

Monty instantly winced in pain, and I retracted my hand away from his face quickly.

"Shit, sorry." I stared at him apologetically.

"It's fine. I'm used to it." His sad eyes sunk into mine, and I felt my heart break at his words.

"W-who did this to you?" My voice cracked as a few salty tears fell from my eyes.

"Um, m-my dad." He muttered before looking away from me, almost shamefully.

"Your dad did this?" My heart wrenched as the words fell from my mouth. How could someone's parents do something like this to their own child?

"He-he was drunk and in one of his usually shitty moods and my mom was trying to get him to go to bed." I noticed the tears falling from his eyes, and placed my hand over his own for comfort.

"He wouldn't move so she kept pushing, then he fucking stood up and hit her. Right across the fucking face!" His voice was full of spite and terror as he spoke.

"I couldn't just watch him hurt her any longer. I pushed him off her and told him to get out. But he didn't listen. That asshole grabbed my fucking baseball bat and hit me tight across the face with it." Monty was now sobbing as he recalled what had happened with his dad.

"Once he was finished with beating me senseless I ran the fuck out of that house and came here." He breathed heavily.

Fresh tears were now pouring from my eyes as I imagined the terrifying thing his dad did to him.

"I-I don't even know what to say." I whispered; my eyes locked on our hands, that were gripped tightly together.

"You don't have to say anything." He sighed, stroking my hand with his thumb.

"Is that where you got your last bruise from?" My soft voice spoke at a hush, already knowing what the answer was.

He paused for a few seconds, before looking up at me.

"Um, y-yeah." He nodded. "When he saw me come home from that party drunk, and with the red marks on my fists, he knew that I had got into another fight. So he grabbed the bat, and decided to 'teach me a lesson'."

My whole body felt weak as I listened to Monty speak.

"Wow, I'm so fucking sorry Mont." I said before wiping a few loose tears from my cheeks.

"It's not your fault." He shrugged sadly.

"I know, but no one  should have to go through this." My eyes looked up to his. The hurt and sadness in his eyes were truly heart breaking.

"Yeah I know. I guess I've had it for 18 years, I'm just used to his shit by now." He told me.

"Why don't you tell someone about it? Like someone that can really help you?" I scrunched my face together slightly.

"I can't." He sighed in frustration. "He's paying for me to get into my dream college. He pays for all my sports. Football and baseball are my entire fucking life, I can't let it all go." He explained.

"Jesus Monty." I huffed, trying to cope with everything he had just told me.

"I'm sorry for calling you." He said quietly, breaking his hand away from my own.

I didn't realise we were still holding hands until he pulled away.

"No! Don't be sorry." I told him quickly. "You can call me whenever you want. I'll always be here."

"Thank you Ren." He smiled weakly at me.

"You are more than welcome." I returned the small gesture.

"Uh..can I stay the night?" He spoke quietly.

"It's fine if not. I just don't know where I'm supposed to go an-"

"Of course you can stay Monty." My eyes looked up to his own as I cut him off.

"Thank you."

That night Monty and I fell asleep side by side in my bed.

His warm body lay close to mine. He was so large and muscular, yet so fragile and weak at the same time.

It only took a few moments for Monty to fall into a deep sleep beside me.

I, however stayed awake; my mind full of many unanswered thoughts and questions.

I stared deeply at his face as he slept. It was so vulnerable and peaceful, and I smiled at how at rest he looked when he slept.

Everyone thought he was this big asshole who was completely heartless and didn't care about anyone other than himself.

But what they didn't know, was that he didn't even have anyone to care for him.

Well, not before he met me.

-

So what did you think of this chapter?

What do you think about Monty's home life?

Also, thank you so much for 1k read! Like, holy shit!

Vote and Comments are highly appreciated!

Love y'all