Twenty-eight

-Renee's pov

It has been a couple of days since the announcement of Hannah's death, and I still wasn't over the shock of it all.

I even took a few sick days off school because my mind was all over the place and I couldn't even think straight.

All I could think about these past few days, was how much of a fucking shitty person I was.

The guilt inside me was almost unbearable. There was so much i could have done and said to Hannah different. Maybe if I was a little less of a bitch and she felt like she still had me as a friend, she would still be here.

Mitch tried to assure me that it had nothing to do with me, and that she must have been going through some mental shit. But I didn't listen.

She literally fucking came to me for help, and I shrugged her off like a piece of dirt.

Despite still not being myself, it was now Thursday and I knew I couldn't take anymore time off without falling behind.

Monty had offered to give me a ride to school, but I declined and told him Mitch was taking me.

He had been texting and calling me all week to try and get me to open up, but I just didn't want to speak to him right now.

We would just have short phone calls, that would usually end with me coming up with some excuse about having to go for dinner.

"Are you ready to go?" I turned away from my mirror, to see Mitch's tall figure leaning against my door frame.

I nodded in response before grabbing my phone and bag off my bed.

"You look nice, by the way." I scoffed at his comment as my eyes trailed down to my current outfit.

I had on a pair of black leggings with an old Champion hoodie and my black Nike's. My hair was slicked back into a low bun and I didn't even bother to put anything on my face.

"You're funny." I laughed sarcastically before nudging past him, to get down stairs.

Once we were both sat comfortable in Mitch's car, he started the engine and radio before beginning our drive.

At first there was an uncomfortable silence before anyone spoke.

"You wanna get some breakfast?" He turned his head away from the road.

"Not hungry." I shrugged, not even bothering to look at him.

I heard him sigh deeply from beside me. "You didn't have dinner last night Ren, you have to eat something."

"I said I'm not hungry." My voice was slightly quicker and more aggressive this time.

The same loud huff filled the car again as Mitch  pulled onto the side of the road, stopping the car abruptly.

"What are you doing?" I rolled my eyes as my head turned to face my brother.

"You need to sort your shit out, Renee." I furrowed my eyebrows at his harsh words.

"I know Hannah's death has hit you hard, for some reason, but you need to snap out of this shitty mood you're constantly in." His voice was low and stern as he spoke.

"I've tried so fucking hard to be nice and there for you these past few days, and all you do is throw it back in my face. Hannah's dead and you can't bring her back Ren." His voice raised slightly at the last part.

I didn't say anything, and instead stared down at my feet as my eyes became glossy at his words.

"Look, I know this has affected you, but you weren't ever really friends with the girl. You need to sort yourself out and get on with life."