Thirteen

-Renee's pov

"Are you ok?" The sound of Mitch's voice snapped me out of my thoughts as we made our way towards his car.

Everyone separated their own ways once we got into the school parking lot.

Bryce and Scott went to look for Monty and the rest of us just decided to go home.

"I'm fine." I gave him a small, unnatural smile in return.

"You're thinking about Monty." He said in a monotone expression.

I stayed silent as we continued to walk, confirming his thoughts.

"He's a bad guy Ren." Mitch's words suddenly caught me off guard.

"He's not bad Mitch." I rolled my eyes, defending Monty.

"Did you see the fight today? He was a few punches away from killing that kid." I stayed silent as the image of Monty pounding his fist into Alex's head replayed through my mind.

"He's got issues Renee, serious issues." Mitch's voice was soft yet stern.

"Yeah, I know." I muttered, staring down the stony pavement beneath me.

"Please, just promise you'll keep your distance from him." He stopped walking, turning to face me.

I opened my mouth to react, but was stopped when my eyes caught onto something behind my brother.

Monty was stood with his back to us, leaning against his familiar black Jeep.

I couldn't see him very clearly, but I could tell he was smoking because every few seconds a thin cloud of grey smoke would surround him before disappearing into the air.

"I'll be back in a sec." I didn't bother to look up at Mitch before gently squeezing past him, towards Monty.

It only took a few moments for Mitch to realise where I was going before he muttered something from behind me.

"You have to be fucking kidding me."

I knew he was talking about Monty, but I just disregarded him and continued to walk towards the brunette.

"That shits bad for you." Monty jumped slightly at the sound of my voice.

"Like I care." He replied back bluntly as he turned to face me, taking another long drag of his half finished cigarette.

"I'm just telling you." I raised my hands in defence at his harsh tone. "It's not good for you, that's all."

Monty stared down at me with almost no emotion.

I watched as he flicked the end of the cigarette before dropping it onto the ground and stomping it out with the bottom of his sneakers.

"There." He looked down at the floor. "Now I've lowered my chances of dying from lung cancer." He joked.

"That's not funny." I rolled my eyes at his stupid attempt of humour.

"Why are you here anyway?" He crossed his arms over his chest, and I was slightly taken aback by his question.

"What do you mean, why am I here?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Monty stayed silent for a few awkward moments, like he was thinking of what to say next.

"Can't you just leave me alone for once, fuck." He said harshly, before turning his body so his back was leaning against the car and his face was facing away from my own.

In that moment i felt a sharp pain sting through my heart.

Why was he being like this?

"Why are you being so mean?" I practically whispered, hurt flooding through my words.

Monty chuckled loudly before speaking. "Mean?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Aw, I'm not being mean Renee. I'm just telling you to leave me the fuck alone." He clenched his jaw together tightly.

"Why are you being like this?" I asked, my heart dropping at every word he was saying.

"I'm not being like anything Renee!" His voice raised in anger, causing me to step back slightly.

"You don't fucking understand! Football and sports are my life! This is the first game of the season and now I can't even fucking play!" He pounded his fist into the side of his car, leaving a small dent where he had applied force.

If I said I wasn't scared, I would be lying. But I know Monty. He's angry and upset, and right now he needs someone to calm him down.

Despite the intense feeling of fright inside my stomach, I slowly moved my hand to Monty's shoulder, where I gently squeezed it for support.

"Listen Monty, this is just one game. This is just one set back. It's only one game Monty, there will be plenty more to come." I spoke softly.

Monty stayed silent for a moment, like he was actually taking in what I was saying.

I'm that moment, I had hope for Monty. That he could control his anger, that I could actually get through to him.

That hope only last a few seconds though.

Monty suddenly threw my hands off of his body, causing me to stumble back in surprise.

"Cut it with that bullshit Renee." He spat. "This is my life. The team is my life. You have a loving family you can go home to at night, I don't have that. The team is my family, that field is my home." Tears began pouring from his eyes and my heart broke at the sight of him.

"Monty I-"

"No Renee!" He cut me off, stepping away from me slightly. "Before I met you I was tough and cut most emotions from my body. Now look at me, I'm weak!" He gestured his hands to himself.

"You've made me weak Renee! If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have let what Alex said bother me, I had all my feelings buried before you!" He quickly wiped away the stray tears from his cheeks with the palm of his hand.

"I've gained feelings for you that I don't want!" He yelled.

"It's time to stops Renee. I don't want to see or speak to you ever again." His words were like a knife being stabbed into my chest.

My heart dropped to my feet as what he had just said sunk it.

He was blaming me for everything?

"Monty please." I pleaded as tears were now pouring from my eyes.

However, he ignored me as he climbed into the drivers seat of his car before driving out of the parking lot.

Leaving me stood feeling empty and heartbroken.

-

So what did you think of this chapter?

Do you think Monty is overreacting?

Votes and comments are highly appreciated!

Love y'all