Eighteen

-Renee's pov

Later that morning

The blazing light of the crisp mornings sun glimmered into my eyes as I stared deeply out of the car car window.

"How'd you explain where you were to your brother and parents the early hours of this morning?" I turned to Monty, who was speaking from the drivers side of the car.

"No one knew I was gone." I shrugged in reply. "I managed to sneak in at six, before anyone was awake." I added.

"Well that's good, cause your brother already hates me enough." He laughed, although I knew he was being serious.

I turned to face the brunette, raising my eyebrows at him. "He doesn't hate you, he just doesn't trust you around me." I explained.

A loud sigh escaped his lips, as his eyes stayed focused on the road.

"That's the point Ren, it's not good when the girl you likes brother doesn't trust you with her, especially since me and him are friends."

I could see the stress and sadness in his face as he spoke.

For some reason, small butterflies fluttered in the pit of my stomach, at the way he was overreacting about Mitch not approving of us.

It showed he really cares.

"I know I can be an asshole..to like everyone, but I would never hurt you." He added after a few moments.

I stayed silent for a few moments, placing my hand over his free one, that was rested on his thigh.

"I trust you Mont, and that's all that matters. No one can change how we feel about each other." I reassured him with a genuine smile.

Monty didn't say anything for a few moments, and I could see a small smirk playing at his lips as he stared ahead.

"What?" I narrowed my eyebrows slightly, lifting my hand away from his own.

He pursed his lips together, before glancing over at me after checking the road was clear.

"You called me Mont." He lifted his eyebrows slightly, smirking at me.

A hot flush suddenly burned at my rosie cheeks, as I realised what I had said.

"You call me Ren." I shrugged at him.

An easy smile crossed Monty's lips as he shook his head. "Keep calling me that, I like it."

-

As the two of us made our way out of Monty's Jeep, and towards the school, I could feel the burn of everyone's stare on us.

"Why's everyone staring?" I looked up to Monty, who was walking closely beside me.

He stared at me for a few moments with a smirk, before motioning his eyes toward our hands, which were intertwined tightly.

The feeling had been so soft and comfortable, I had forgotten we were even holding hands.

"Oh." Was all I said, as a small blush crossed my face.

As we walked into the hallways, everyone's eyes were still glued on the two of us, and I was starting to feel slightly uncomfortable.

Have they never seen two teens holding hands before?

"Ok losers, you can stop staring, it's getting old now!" Monty yelled out sternly, causing anyone that was looking to quickly turn away in fear.

I giggled under my breath slightly at the way everyone acted so frightened around Monty. It was like he was some intimidating monster.